Current:Home > reviews‘We are a safe campus’: UNLV to resume classes at site of the 2023 shooting -Visionary Wealth Guides
‘We are a safe campus’: UNLV to resume classes at site of the 2023 shooting
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 03:32:59
When UNLV students return to Frank and Estella Beam Hall for classes in two weeks, nothing should look too different from last December — before the building was closed after a shooting spree that resulted in the death of three professors and left another severely wounded.
For months, the university has worked to erase any traces of physical damage left behind in the aftermath of the Dec. 6 shooting while also working to make students, faculty and staff feel more at ease in the building and avoid retraumatizing them, said Musa Pam, associate vice president of facilities management, during a Tuesday press conference. It was the first time the building was opened to the public since the shooting.
This fall, 160 classes will be taught in Beam Hall, approximately half the number than what would typically be offered. A UNLV spokesman said each of the classes scheduled for Beam Hall also will be offered at another building on campus to accommodate students who still feel uncomfortable being inside the facility.
Arnold Vasquez, interim director of University Police Services, Southern Command, and Pam shared safety upgrades that have been made to Beam Hall in preparation for the fall semester. Those upgrades include:
1. Surveillance cameras installed outside elevators on all floors
2. New telephones equipped with enhanced emergency notification capabilities that can relay updates or instructions. The phones are attached to classroom walls to keep them out of instructors’ way
3. Armed security officers on the first and second floors
In addition, the third, fourth and fifth floors that house faculty offices will now only be accessible via stairwells or elevators using an access card or key.
The new safety measures are coupled with a “heightened and increased presence” from university police with ongoing patrols across campus and at special events.
“We are a safe campus,” Vasquez said. “This is an island of safety. We are here to provide that for them.”
UNLV has spent approximately $2.5 million on repairs and security upgrades around campus, including at Beam Hall, and an additional $1 million in recent months to improve lighting throughout the university, officials said in a Tuesday statement. The Nevada System of Higher Education is using $2.6 million in grant funding for security enhancements throughout its institution, including for the private security officers stationed at Beam Hall.
UNLV President Keith Whitfield plans to ask the Legislature in 2025 for $38 million in funding for more security improvements.
But even if these new safety measures had been in place prior to the shooting, Whitfield said he doesn’t think they would have prevented the shooting from happening.
“I hate to say that,” he said. “To say something could have stopped somebody who came to do ill is very, very difficult.”
After the shooting, there were suggestions that UNLV close off the campus to all visitors, but Whitfield has dismissed that idea. During Tuesday’s press conference, he said not only is that not feasible for an urban research institution such as UNLV, it’s also “not that big of a deterrent as you would think.”
But he’s hopeful that the upgrades the university made since the shooting will help give students and staff a peace of mind as they prepare for the start of the fall semester.
“As time goes on, we’re never going to forget what happened, but we’ll put it — hopefully — in a proper perspective, so that students can still feel very safe here and to be able to achieve their dreams that are going to lead to greater opportunities,” Whitfield said.
Vasquez urges individuals to reach out to law enforcement if they see or hear about anything suspicious.
“We will not be inconvenienced by a phone call … so please call us,” Vasquez said. “It is our job. We will come out, we will address that, we will figure it out.”
___
This story was originally published by The Nevada Independent and distributed through a partnership with The Associated Press.
veryGood! (2584)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- TikToker Nara Smith Reveals “Controversial” Baby Names She Almost Gave Daughter Whimsy Lou Smith
- Who is Bob Graham? Here’s what to know about the former Florida governor and senator
- Nancy Pelosi memoir, ‘The Art of Power,’ will reflect on her career in public life
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Dawn Staley shares Beyoncé letter to South Carolina basketball after national championship
- Pilot swims to shore with dog after plane crashes into Pacific Ocean near Los Angeles
- Toyota recalls about 55,000 vehicles over rear door issue: See affected models
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Toyota recalls about 55,000 vehicles over rear door issue: See affected models
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- NBA YoungBoy arrested in Utah for alleged possession of a weapon, drugs while awaiting trial
- 'Shopaholic' author Sophie Kinsella diagnosed with 'aggressive' brain cancer
- Ashanti engaged to Nelly, reveals she's pregnant after rekindling their romance
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Psst, H&M's Sale Section is Filled With Trendy & Affordable Styles That Are Up to 72% Off Right Now
- Louisiana bills seeking to place restrictions on where people can carry guns receive pushback
- NPR editor Uri Berliner resigns after essay accusing outlet of liberal bias
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
John Lennon and Paul McCartney's sons Sean and James release first song together
Nancy Pelosi memoir, ‘The Art of Power,’ will reflect on her career in public life
Drug shortages at highest since 2014: Chemo drugs, Wegovy, ADHD medications affected
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Alabama lawmakers reject bill to require release of police body camera video
Amazon's Just Walk Out tech has come under much scrutiny. And it may be everywhere soon.
Man sentenced to 47 years to life for kidnapping 9-year-old girl from upstate New York park