Current:Home > FinancePaula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co -Visionary Wealth Guides
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 23:39:26
Paula Abdul and Nigel Lythgoe have settled their lawsuit a year after the allegations sent shockwaves through the dance industry.
On Thursday, the "Straight Up" singer filed a notice of settlement for the lawsuit against her fellow former “So You Think You Can Dance” judge Lythgoe, which included allegations of sexual assault and harassment. The terms of the settlement are unknown.
On Dec. 29 of last year, Abdul filed a lawsuit against the former “American Idol” executive producer, alleging that he sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of "Idol" — on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 — and again in 2014 when she was judging "SYTYCD."
“I am grateful that this chapter has successfully come to a close and is now something I can now put behind me,” Abdul said in a statement provided to CNN and CBS News.
Abdul continued: "This has been a long and hard-fought personal battle. I hope my experience can serve to inspire other women, facing similar struggles, to overcome their own challenges with dignity and respect, so that they too can turn the page and begin a new chapter of their lives.”
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Abdul and Lythgoe for comment.
Nigel Lythgoe is leaving Fox's'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault lawsuits
Other allegations against Lythgoe
Days after Abdul filed her lawsuit, two contestants who appeared on the 2003 ABC talent competition show "All American Girl" accused Lythgoe of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and negligence stemming from an alleged attack in May of that year. They filed anonymously, using the names Jane Doe K.G. and Jane Doe K.N.
Lythgoe worked on 'American Idol', 'SYTYCD'
Lythgoe produced “Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and "SYTYCD" from 2005-14.
He was a "SYTYCD" judge from its inception in 2005, but stepped back from the "SYTYCD" judging panel in January, telling USA TODAY in a statement at the time that he "informed the producers of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ of my decision to step back from participating in this year’s series."
Contributing: KiMi Robinson
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (894)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Tarantula crossing road causes traffic accident in Death Valley National Park
- UN experts call on the Taliban to free 2 women rights defenders from custody in Afghanistan
- 3 Social Security surprises that could cost you in retirement
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- China’s forces shadow a Philippine navy ship near disputed shoal, sparking new exchange of warnings
- Charged Lemonade at Panera Bread gets warning label after death of college student
- Israeli forces battle Hamas around Gaza City, as military says 800,000 have fled south
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Sports Equinox is today! MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL all in action for only time in 2023
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- China’s forces shadow a Philippine navy ship near disputed shoal, sparking new exchange of warnings
- Drivers in Argentina wait in long lines to fill up the tanks as presidential election looms
- U.S. says Russia executing soldiers who refuse to fight in Ukraine
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- King Charles III is in Kenya for a state visit, his first to a Commonwealth country as king
- Florida school district agrees to improve instruction for students who don’t speak English
- A gunman holed up at a Japanese post office may be linked to an earlier shooting in a hospital
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Halloween candy can give you a 'sugar hangover.' Experts weigh in on how much is too much.
Breast cancer survivor pushes for earlier screening as younger women face rising cases: What if I had waited?
'The Wedding Planner' star Bridgette Wilson-Sampras diagnosed with ovarian cancer, husband says
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Judge orders federal agents to stop cutting Texas razor wire for now at busy Mexico border crossing
Doctors could revive bid to block Arizona ban on abortions performed due to genetic abnormality
See Kendall Jenner's Blonde Transformation Into Marilyn Monroe for Halloween 2023