Current:Home > ScamsWisconsin’s Evers urges federal judge not to make changes at youth prison in wake of counselor death -Visionary Wealth Guides
Wisconsin’s Evers urges federal judge not to make changes at youth prison in wake of counselor death
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 18:55:39
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Gov. Tony Evers asked a federal judge Wednesday not to impose any changes at Wisconsin’s youth prison after an inmate was accused of killing a counselor during a fight earlier this summer, insisting conditions at the prison have been slowly improving despite the death.
Evers, a Democrat, said in the letter to James Peterson, chief judge for the Western District of Wisconsin, that Republican lawmakers could soon ask him to give Lincoln Hills-Copper Lakes Schools more leeway in punishing incarcerated children. The governor said that it’s important to remember that brutal staff-on-inmate punishments led to tighter restrictions on what action staff can take.
Lincoln Hills-Copper Lake is Wisconsin’s only youth prison. The facility has been plagued by allegations of staff-on-inmate abuse, including excessive use of pepper spray, restraints and strip searches.
The American Civil Liberties Union filed a federal lawsuit in Madison in 2017 demanding changes at the prison. Then-Gov. Scott Walker’s administration settled the lawsuit in 2018 by agreeing to abide by a consent decree that prohibits punitive confinement, restricts confinement to 12 hours, restricts the use of mechanical restraints to handcuffs and prohibits the use of pepper spray. A court-appointed monitor has been checking the prison’s compliance ever since.
According to prosecutors, a 16-year-old boy attacked a counselor on June 24, punching her before fleeing into an outdoor courtyard. Counselor Corey Proulx confronted him, and the boy punched him in the face. Proulx fell and hit his head on concrete pavement. He was pronounced brain-dead two days later.
His death has pushed Lincoln Hills-Copper Lake staff to demand more freedom in dealing with inmates. Republican lawmakers sympathetic to their demands have been talking about asking Peterson to revise the consent decree to give them more latitude, including allowing them to use pepper spray. Sen. Van Wanggaard, chair of the Senate judiciary committee, released a letter Wednesday to state Corrections Secretary Jared Hoy signed by a host of GOP legislators demanding he ask Peterson for changes.
“Lincoln Hills staff need to get the bullseye off their back, so that they may safely and efficiently ensure the security and welfare of themselves and the residents of Lincoln Hills,” the letter said.
Asked if Hoy would comply, Evers spokesperson Britt Cudaback released Evers’ letter to Peterson. The letter was dated Wednesday, but Cudaback said the administration had been working on it before receiving the Republicans’ request.
Evers reminded Peterson in the letter of the abuse that led to the consent decree in the first place and said Republicans are refusing to acknowledge that history. The governor added that he doubts the ACLU would support any changes.
He went on to detail changes at the youth prison, saying relationships between staff and inmates have improved and that Hoy received a letter last week from the president of Council of Juvenile Justice Administrators board recognizing Wisconsin as an emerging leader in prison reforms.
Evers added that since Proulx’s death, the facility has been working to increase staff-to-inmate ratios, utilizing overtime when needed. Supervisors regularly ask staff about their comfort levels, especially when staffing levels are lower, he said.
He intends to visit the prison later this month, and Hoy has been working there at least one day a week since Proulx’s death, the governor wrote.
Emily Stedman, one of the lead attorneys for the ACLU in the 2017 lawsuit, didn’t immediately respond to an email seeking comment on the governor’s letter.
Wanggaard aide Scott Kelly also didn’t immediately respond to an email.
veryGood! (95)
Related
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Dockworkers’ union suspend strike until Jan. 15 to allow time to negotiate new contract
- Hawaii nurses union calls new contract a step in the right direction
- Watch: Pete Alonso – the 'Polar Bear' – sends Mets to NLDS with ninth-inning home run
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Travis and Jason Kelce’s Mom Donna Kelce Stood “Still” in Marriage to Ed Kelce Before Divorce
- For Pittsburgh Jews, attack anniversary adds to an already grim October
- Garth Brooks accused of rape in lawsuit from hair-and-makeup artist
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- California collects millions in stolen wages, but can’t find many workers to pay them
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- A crash saved a teenager whose car suddenly sped up to 120 mph in the rural Midwest
- Sarah Paulson Reveals Whether She Gets Advice From Holland Taylor—And Her Answer Is Priceless
- 'Love is Blind' star Hannah says she doesn’t feel ‘love bombed’ by Nick
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Mark Estes and the Montana Boyz Will Be “Looking for Love” in New Show After Kristin Cavallari Split
- Ex-Memphis officers found guilty of witness tampering in Tyre Nichols' fatal beating
- Secret Lives of Mormon Wives’ Whitney Leavitt Addresses Rumors About Her Husband’s Sexuality
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Toilet paper not expected to see direct impacts from port strike: 'People need to calm down'
Anti-abortion leaders undeterred as Trump for the first time says he’d veto a federal abortion ban
Halle Bailey and DDG Break Up Less Than a Year After Welcoming Baby Boy
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Texas man sought in wounding of small town’s police chief
Why Zendaya Hasn’t Watched Dancing With the Stars Since Appearing on the Show
Sean 'Diddy' Combs accuser's lawyers ask to withdraw over 'fundamental disagreement'