Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-Sen. Bernie Sanders said he is set to pursue contempt charges against Steward CEO -Visionary Wealth Guides
Oliver James Montgomery-Sen. Bernie Sanders said he is set to pursue contempt charges against Steward CEO
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:11:37
BOSTON (AP) — Vermont U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders said Wednesday he is Oliver James Montgomeryprepared to pursue contempt charges against Steward Health Care CEO Ralph de la Torre if he fails to show up at a hearing Thursday despite being issued a subpoena.
Sanders said de la Torre needs to answer to the American people about how he was able to reap hundreds of millions of dollars while Steward Health Care, which operated about 30 hospitals nationwide, had to file for bankruptcy in May.
“This is something that is not going to go away,” Sanders told The Associated Press. “We will pursue this doggedly.”
Steward has been working to sell its more than a half-dozen hospitals in Massachusetts, but received inadequate bids for two other hospitals — Carney Hospital in Boston and Nashoba Valley Medical Center in the town of Ayer — both of which have closed as a result. A federal bankruptcy court last week approved the sale of Steward’s other Massachusetts hospitals.
“He has decided not to show up because he doesn’t want to explain to the American people how horrific his greed has become,” Sanders said. “Tell me about your yacht. Tell me about your fishing boat. I want to hear your justification for that. Tell that to the community where staff was laid off while you made $250 million.”
Sanders said that to hold de la Torre in contempt would require a vote by the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, which he chairs, or — depending on what action they take — a vote of the full Senate.
Lawyers de la Torre have said that he won’t testify before the committee investigating the Dallas-based hospital company because a federal court order prohibits him from discussing anything during an ongoing reorganization and settlement effort.
Sanders said there are plenty of questions de la Torre could still address.
Lawyers for de la Torre also accused the committee of seeking to turn the hearing into “a pseudo-criminal proceeding in which they use the time, not to gather facts, but to convict Dr. de la Torre in the eyes of public opinion.”
“It is not within this Committee’s purview to make predeterminations of alleged criminal misconduct under the auspices of an examination into Steward’s bankruptcy proceedings, and the fact that its Members have already done so smacks of a veiled attempt to sidestep Dr. de la Torre’s constitutional rights,” the lawyers said in a letter to Sanders last week.
De la Torre hasn’t ruled out testifying before the committee at a later date — a suggestion Sanders described as “100% a delaying tactic.”
Sanders also said the committee has received no indication that de la Torre will change his mind and attend Thursday’s hearing, which will also include testimony from nurses who worked at two of the hospitals owned by Steward in Massachusetts.
““You have a guy becoming fabulously wealthy while bankrupting hospitals and denying low income and middle income folks the health care they so desperately need,” Sanders said. He said that more than a dozen patients have died in Steward hospitals as a result of inadequate staffing or shortages of medical equipment.
“When a hospital shuts down in a community, especially a low-income community, it’s a disaster. Where do people go? Where’s the nearest emergency room?” Sanders added.
The committee’s options include holding de la Torre in criminal contempt, which could result in a trial and jail time; or civil contempt, which would result in fines until he appears. Both would require a Senate vote.
De la Torre also refused invitations to testify at a Boston field hearing earlier this year chaired by Sen. Edward Markey, a Democrat from Massachusetts and also a member of the committee.
veryGood! (469)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- LeBron James reaches two-year agreement to remain with Lakers and team up with son, Bronny
- Great-grandmother wins $5 million on lottery scratch-off after finishing breast cancer treatment
- Christina Applegate shares bucket list items with 'the days I have left': 'Shots with Cher!'
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Kim Kardashian, Kendall Jenner and More of Kris Jenner's Kids React After Her Tumor Diagnosis
- This week on Sunday Morning (July 7)
- Cybersecurity breach could delay court proceedings across New Mexico, public defenders office says
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Trump or Biden? Investors are anxious about the 2024 election. Here's how to prepare
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Now-banned NBA player Jontay Porter will be charged in betting case, court papers indicate
- Video shows dog turning on stove, starting fire in Colorado Springs home
- Video shows people feeding bears from balcony of Smoky Mountain lodge, violating law
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Abortion on the ballot: Amarillo set to vote on abortion travel ban this election
- Bookcases recalled nearly a year after 4-year-old killed by tip-over
- Why Jennifer Tilly Was Terrified to Join Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
Recommendation
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
Prince William Joins King Charles III and Queen Camilla for Royal Duties in Scotland
Tulsa Race Massacre survivors, Lessie Randle and Viola Fletcher, call for federal probe
British nurse Lucy Letby, convicted of killing 7 babies, found guilty of another attempted murder
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Minnesota prosecutor provides most detailed account yet of shooting deaths of 3 first responders
Jürgen Klopp for USMNT? Alexi Lalas, Tim Howard urge US Soccer to approach ex-Liverpool boss
Man tells jury he found body but had no role in fatal attack on Detroit synagogue leader