Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-Senegalese opposition leader Sonko regains consciousness but remains on hunger strike, lawyer says -Visionary Wealth Guides
NovaQuant-Senegalese opposition leader Sonko regains consciousness but remains on hunger strike, lawyer says
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-05 23:56:22
DAKAR,NovaQuant Senegal (AP) — A lawyer for Senegalese opposition leader Ousmane Sonko said Thursday that the detained politician had regained consciousness but remains “in a very precarious condition” on hunger strike.
Sonko, a popular figure with young Senegalese who placed third in the last presidential election, first began refusing food after he was placed in detention in late July. He later suspended the protest measure following mediation but resumed a hunger strike on Oct. 17, according to lawyer Juan Branco.
Branco told The Associated Press that the opposition leader “is still being treated by a resuscitation team with the risk of a major relapse.” That assessment comes after Sonko’s supporters said earlier this week he had lapsed into a coma.
Sonko’s supporters believe the slew of criminal allegations brought against him since 2021 are part of an orchestrated campaign to derail his political aspirations ahead of a presidential election in February.
In June, Sonko was acquitted on charges of raping a woman who worked at a massage parlor and making death threats against her. But he was convicted of corrupting youth and sentenced to two years in prison, which ignited deadly protests across the country.
In late July, Senegalese authorities formally dissolved Sonko’s political party and placed him in detention. He is now facing charges of calling for insurrection, conspiracy against the state and other alleged crimes.
The government has not commented on Sonko’s health since August, when he was transferred to a hospital “presenting a general weakness linked to his refusal to eat.” He was later transferred to the intensive care unit for treatment before suspending his strike after the mediation effort.
Sonko was removed from the electoral roll by the Interior Ministry following his conviction. But this decision was overturned by a judge in the southern city of Ziguinchor, who ordered that he be allowed to have sponsorship forms for the presidential election in the same way as other candidates.
Sonko’s chances of taking part in the upcoming election are uncertain, as the Supreme Court has yet to rule on the decision taken by the judge of the Ziguinchor district court.
veryGood! (6629)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Florida babysitter who attempted to circumcise 2-year-old boy charged with child abuse
- Portland, Oregon, teachers strike over class sizes, pay and resources
- 21-year-old woman killed by stray bullet while ending her shift at a bar in Georgia
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Nebraska pipeline opponent, Indonesian environmentalist receive Climate Breakthrough awards
- Nevada Sen. Jacky Rosen says antisemitic threats hit her when she saw them not as a senator, but as a mother
- Colombia will try to control invasive hippo population through sterilization, transfer, euthanasia
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Virginia governor orders schools to disclose details of school-related drug overdoses
Ranking
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Ferry that ran aground off the Swedish coast and leaked oil reported back in harbor
- Man who admitted setting fire to several Indiana barns pleads guilty to 3 more arsons
- Utah woman’s leg amputated after being attacked by her son’s dogs in her own backyard
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- 2034 World Cup would bring together FIFA’s president and Saudi Arabia’s Prince Mohammed
- Urban Meyer says Michigan football sign-stealing allegations are 'hard for me to believe'
- Lucy Hale says life 'got really dark' during her struggle with alcoholism, eating disorder
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
A New York City lawmaker accused of bringing a gun to a pro-Palestinian protest is arraigned
Who is the strongest Avenger? Tackling this decades old fan debate.
Couple exposed after decades-long ruse using stolen IDs of dead babies
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Trump eyes radical immigration shift if elected in 2024, promising mass deportations and ideological screenings
Selling Sunset's Jason Oppenheim Reacts to Chrishell Stause and Marie-Lou Nurk Feud
Charity says migrant testimonies point to a recurring practice of illegal deportations from Greece