Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Massachusetts governor says there’s nothing she can do to prevent 2 hospitals from closing -Visionary Wealth Guides
Rekubit-Massachusetts governor says there’s nothing she can do to prevent 2 hospitals from closing
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 17:18:26
BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts has agreed to provide about $30 million to help support the operations of six hospitals that Steward Health Care is Rekubittrying to turn over to new owners after declaring bankruptcy earlier this year, according to court filings.
The latest update comes as Steward announced Friday that it was closing two hospitals — Carney Hospital and Nashoba Valley Medical Center — because it received no qualified bids for either facility.
In a court filing late Friday, Steward announced it had received a commitment from Massachusetts “to provide approximately $30 million of funding support for the hospitals’ operations as they are transitioned to new operators in the near-term.”
The Dallas-based company also said in the court filing that the company remains steadfast in their goal of doing everything within their power to keep their 31 hospitals open.
In May, Steward said it planned to sell off all its hospitals after announcing that it had filed for bankruptcy protection. The company’s hospitals are scattered across eight states.
The $30 million is meant to ensure that Steward’s hospitals in Massachusetts can continue to operate through the end of August, according to Gov. Maura Healey’s administration. The funding will help make sure patients can continue to access care and workers can keep their jobs until Carney and Nashoba Valley close and the remaining five hospitals are transitioned to new owners.
Carney Hospital is located in the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston and Nashoba Valley Medical Center is in Ayer, a town about 45 miles (72 kilometers) west of Boston.
The payments are advances on Medicaid funds that the state owes Steward and are being provided contingent upon an orderly movement toward new ownership. The $30 million is also contingent on Steward hitting milestones and cannot be used for rental payments, debt service or management fees.
Healey said “not a dime” of the $30 million will go to Steward but will instead help ensure a smooth transition to new ownership.
Asked if there is anything the state can do to keep Carney Hospital and Nashoba Valley Medical Center open — including state receivership — Healey turned the focus back on Steward and embattled CEO Ralph de la Torre.
“It’s Steward’s decision to close these hospitals, there’s nothing that the state can do, that I can do, that I have to power to do, to keep that from happening,” Healey told reporters. “But I’ve also said from the beginning that we are focused on health care.”
She said that focus includes saving the six Steward hospitals which have bidders.
“We are in this situation, and it’s outrageous that we are in this situation, all because of the greed of one individual, Ralph de la Torre, and the management team at Steward,” Healey said. “I know Steward is not trustworthy and that’s why I’ve said from the beginning I want Steward out of Massachusetts yesterday.”
On Thursday, a Senate committee voted to authorize an investigation into Steward’s bankruptcy and to subpoena de la Torre.
The subpoena would compel de la Torre to testify before the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee at a hearing on Sept. 12.
A group of Democratic members of Congress, led by Massachusetts Sen. Edward Markey, has also sought reassurances that workers at hospitals owned by Steward will have their health care and retirement benefits protected.
veryGood! (63689)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Ultra-processed foods may raise risk of diabetes, heart disease — even early death: study
- Trove of ancient skulls and bones found stacked on top of each other during construction project in Mexico
- CVS and Walgreens to start selling abortion pills this month
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- U.S. Center for SafeSport needs independence and increased funding, commission says
- 'Tremendously lucky': Video shows woman rescued from truck hanging from Louisville bridge
- A ship earlier hit by Yemen’s Houthi rebels sinks in the Red Sea, the first vessel lost in conflict
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- NFL free agency starts soon. These are the 50 hottest free agents on the market
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Q&A: Former EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy on New Air Pollution Regulations—and Women’s Roles in Bringing Them About
- Migrant brawl at reception center in Panama’s Darien region destroys shelter
- Mary-Kate, Ashley and Elizabeth Olsen Prove They Have Passports to Paris With Rare Outing
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Bethany Joy Lenz Reveals Name of Alleged Cult She Says She Belonged To
- Wendy's pricing mind trick and other indicators of the week
- Nevada, northern California brace for blizzard, 'life-threatening' conditions
Recommendation
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Shopping for parental benefits around the world
Texas Panhandle wildfires leave dead animals everywhere as agricultural commissioner predicts 10,000 dead cattle
White Christmas Star Anne Whitfield Dead at 85 After Unexpected Accident
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Summer House's Lindsay Hubbard Breaks Silence After Accusing Sober Ex Carl Radke of Doing Cocaine
What's Making Us Happy: A guide to your weekend viewing, listening and reading
Stop Right Now and See Victoria Beckham’s Kids Harper, Brooklyn and Cruz at Paris Fashion Week Show