Current:Home > StocksPrincess Kate, Prince William 'enormously touched' by support following cancer diagnosis -Visionary Wealth Guides
Princess Kate, Prince William 'enormously touched' by support following cancer diagnosis
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:25:26
Princess Kate and Prince William are speaking out for the first time since it was revealed the Princess of Wales is battling cancer.
In a statement released by Kensington Palace, the British royals expressed their gratitude for the outpouring of public support following Kate's diagnosis.
"The prince and princess are both enormously touched by the kind messages from people here in the U.K., across the Commonwealth and around the world in response to Her Royal Highness’ message," a palace spokesperson said in an emailed statement to USA TODAY Sunday.
"They are extremely moved by the public's warmth and support and are grateful for the understanding of their request for privacy at this time," the royals' statement concluded.
In a video message shared Friday, Princess Kate announced she was diagnosed with an undisclosed form of cancer and is undergoing "a course of preventive chemotherapy treatment" following major abdominal surgery in January.
Kate called her diagnosis a "huge shock" for her family, adding that she and Prince William have done "everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family."
Princess Kate opens up about 'tough' cancer diagnosis in emotional video
Following weeks of speculation about her health status, Princess Kate opened up Friday about her recent cancer diagnosis and the impact it's had on her family life.
"I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you personally for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding whilst I've been recovering from surgery," said Kate in a video released by Kensington Palace. "It has been an incredibly tough couple of months for our entire family. But I've had a fantastic medical team who've taken great care of me, for which I'm so grateful.
"In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London. And at the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous," she continued. "The surgery was successful. However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present."
Kate said it has "taken time" to explain her diagnosis to her and William's children — Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 8, and Prince Louis, 5 — appropriately and "to reassure them that I'm going to be OK."
Where is Princess Kate?Timeline of what to know about her cancer diagnosis announcement
"As I've said to them, I am well. And getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal. In my mind, body and spirits," she said. "Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance too. As is the love, support and kindness that has been shown by so many of you."
Kate also shared words of encouragement for others who have been diagnosed with cancer. "Please do not lose faith or hope. You are not alone," she said.
veryGood! (255)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- At least two shot when gunfire erupts at Philadelphia Eid event, official tells AP
- Vietnam sentences real estate tycoon Truong My Lan to death in its largest-ever fraud case
- Total solar eclipses are becoming more rare. Here's why 'it's all downhill from here.'
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Judge in Trump’s election interference case rejects ‘hostages’ label for jailed Jan. 6 defendants
- Greenhouse gases are rocketing to record levels – highest in at least 800,000 years
- South Carolina’s top officer not releasing details on 2012 hack that stole millions of tax returns
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Inflation is sticking around. Here's what that means for interest rate cuts — and your money.
Ranking
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Breaking from routine with a mini sabbatical or ‘adult gap year’ can be rejuvenating
- 'The View' crew evacuates after kitchen grease fire breaks out on 'Tamron Hall' set
- He's back! Keanu Reeves' John Wick returns in the Ana de Armas action spinoff 'Ballerina'
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- A brief history of the Green Jacket at Augusta National
- Here's what's different about Toyota's first new 4Runner SUV in 15 years
- A Blair Witch Project Remake Is in the Works and Ready to Haunt You
Recommendation
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders urges lawmakers to pass budget as session kicks off
Illinois says available evidence in Terrence Shannon Jr. case is 'not sufficient' to proceed
Rescuers search off Northern California coast for young gray whale entangled in gill net
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
A Blair Witch Project Remake Is in the Works and Ready to Haunt You
Massachusetts city agrees to $900,000 settlement for death of a 30-year-old woman in custody
2 officers, suspect wounded in exchange of gunfire in Lansing, Michigan