Current:Home > InvestNew York Times report says Israel knew about Hamas attack over a year in advance -Visionary Wealth Guides
New York Times report says Israel knew about Hamas attack over a year in advance
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 16:57:41
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel’s military was aware of Hamas ' plan to launch an attack on Israeli soil over a year before the devastating Oct. 7 operation that killed hundreds of people, The New York Times reported Friday.
It was the latest in a series of signs that top Israeli commanders either ignored or played down warnings that Hamas was plotting the attack, which triggered a war against the Islamic militant group that has devastated the Gaza Strip.
The Times said Israeli officials were in possession of a 40-page battle plan, code-named “Jericho Wall,” that detailed a hypothetical Hamas attack on southern Israeli communities.
It was unclear how the document was obtained by Israel, but the article said that it had been translated — indicating it may have been in Arabic and directly intercepted from Hamas.
The Israeli military declined to comment on the report, saying it was “currently focused on eliminating the threat from the terrorist organization Hamas.”
“Questions of this kind will be looked into in a later stage,” it said.
The document was seen by many Israeli military and intelligence officials, the report said, though it was unclear if Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu or other top leaders had seen it.
The document predicted that Hamas would bombard Israel with rockets, use drones to disable Israel’s security and surveillance abilities at the border wall, and take over southern communities and military bases. Another 2016 Israeli defense memo obtained by the Times said Hamas intended to take hostages back to Gaza.
The Oct. 7 attack — in which 1,200 people were killed and 240 people were abducted and taken to Gaza — would uncannily mirror the one outlined in the battle plan. But Israeli officials had brushed off the plan, the report said, dismissing it as “aspirational” rather than something that could practically take place, the report said.
The report comes amid public fury toward the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for failing to prevent an attack that appears to have been preceded by numerous warning signs.
The attack was planned in plain sight. A month before the assault, Hamas posted a video to social media showing fighters using explosives to blast through a replica of the border gate, sweep in on pickup trucks and then move building by building through a full-scale reconstruction of an Israeli town, firing automatic weapons at human-silhouetted paper targets.
In the video, the militants destroyed mock-ups of the wall’s concrete towers and a communications antenna, just as they would do for real on Oct. 7.
Adding to public outrage over the military’s apparent negligence, the Israeli media has reported that military officials dismissed warnings from female border spotters who warned that they were witnessing Hamas’ preparations for the attack. According to the media reports, the young women reported seeing Hamas drones and attempts to knock out Israeli border cameras in the months leading up to the attack.
Netanyahu has stopped short of apologizing for the attack, and has said that determining blame will have to come after the war is waged. Critics say he is attempting to escape responsibility for myriad intelligence failures leading to the deadliest day in Israeli history.
veryGood! (939)
Related
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Substitute teachers are in short supply, but many schools still don't pay them a living wage
- Taylor Swift Skips Travis Kelce’s Game as NFL Star Shakes Off Injury
- Videos of 'flash mob' thefts are everywhere, but are the incidents increasing?
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- 49ers vs. Cowboys Sunday Night Football highlights: San Francisco steamrolls Dallas
- Hamas attacks in Israel: Airlines that have suspended flights amid a travel advisory
- Jobs report shows payrolls grew by 336K jobs in September while unemployment held at 3.8%
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Shooting at Pennsylvania community center kills 1 and injures 5 victims
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- A perfect day for launch at the Albuquerque balloon fiesta. See the photos
- Gal Gadot supports Israel amid Palestinian conflict, Bruno Mars cancels Tel Aviv show
- New York, New Jersey leaders condemn unprecedented Hamas attack in Israel
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Sophie Turner Makes a Bold Fashion Statement Amid Joe Jonas Divorce and Outings With Taylor Swift
- A surge in rail traffic on North Korea-Russia border suggests arms supply to Russia, think tank says
- Economics Nobel Prize goes to Claudia Goldin, an expert on women at work
Recommendation
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Israel intensifies Gaza strikes and battles to repel Hamas, with over 1,100 dead in fighting so far
Michael B. Jordan, Steve Harvey hug it out at NBA game a year after Lori Harvey breakup
Israeli hostage crisis in Hamas-ruled Gaza becomes a political trap for Netanyahu
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
US Senate Majority Leader Schumer criticizes China for not supporting Israel after Hamas attack
Rangers win ALDS Game 1 thanks to Evan Carter's dream October, Bruce Bochy's steady hand
Heidi Klum and Daughter Leni Klum Step Out in Style to Celebrate New Lingerie Ad Campaign