Current:Home > FinanceSurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Former Rep. George Santos says he's leaving the Republican Party, will run as an independent -Visionary Wealth Guides
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Former Rep. George Santos says he's leaving the Republican Party, will run as an independent
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:38:51
NEW YORK - Former Rep. George Santos said Friday he's leaving the Republican Party.
His announcement comes after the House passed a massive $1.2 trillion spending package that funds the government through September ahead of a midnight deadline to avert a partial shutdown.
That measure passed 286 to 134, with a majority of Republicans voting against it. After it passed, Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia filed a "motion to vacate," a move that lays the groundwork for an eventual vote to oust House Speaker Mike Johnson.
"After today's embarrassing showing in the house I have reflected and decided that I can no longer be part of the Republican Party… The Republican Party continues to lie and swindle its voter base. I in good conscience cannot affiliate myself with a party that stands for nothing and falls for everything. I am officially suspending my petitioning in #NY01 to access the ballot as a Republican and will be [filing] to run as an independent… I will take my Ultra MAGA/Trump supporting values to the ballot in November as an Independent," Santos wrote on X.
Santos had previously announced plans to challenge Republican Rep. Nick LaLota in New York's First Congressional District, which includes eastern Long Island.
LaLota responded to that by releasing a statement saying, "To raise the standard in Congress, and to hold a pathological liar who stole an election accountable, I led the charge to expel George Santos. If finishing the job requires beating him in a primary, count me in."
All this comes as Santos faces 23 federal charges related to alleged wire fraud, identity theft and campaign finance violations and other crimes. His trial is set for September.
Jesse ZangerJesse Zanger is the managing editor of CBSNewYork.com.
veryGood! (61342)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Interest rates up, but not on your savings account
- Southwest cancels 5,400 flights in less than 48 hours in a 'full-blown meltdown'
- Two Indicators: The fight over ESG investing
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Union wins made big news this year. Here are 5 reasons why it's not the full story
- Two Indicators: The fight over ESG investing
- U.S. destroys last of its declared chemical weapons
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Trump says he'd bring back travel ban that's even bigger than before
Ranking
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Union wins made big news this year. Here are 5 reasons why it's not the full story
- In this country, McDonald's will now cater your wedding
- Southwest cancels another 4,800 flights as its reduced schedule continues
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Newark ship fire which claimed lives of 2 firefighters expected to burn for several more days
- Unsafe streets: The dangers facing pedestrians
- The Shiba Inu behind the famous 'doge' meme is sick with cancer, its owner says
Recommendation
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
With Climate Change Intensifying, Can At-Risk Minority Communities Rely on the Police to Keep Them Safe?
For the Sunrise Movement’s D.C. Hub, a Call to Support the Movement for Black Lives
In New York’s 16th Congressional District, a Progressive Challenge to the Democratic Establishment Splits Climate Groups
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
How a scrappy African startup could forever change the world of vaccines
In the West, Signs in the Snow Warn That a 20-Year Drought Will Persist and Intensify
Elon Musk says he will resign as Twitter CEO once he finds a replacement