Current:Home > ContactDominican officials searching for Rays shortstop Wander Franco as investigation continues -Visionary Wealth Guides
Dominican officials searching for Rays shortstop Wander Franco as investigation continues
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:55:09
Authorities in the Dominican Republic are searching for Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco, but have yet to locate him, according to Spanish-language reports.
The Santo Domingo Prosecutor's Office for Children and Adolescents sent police officers to Franco's mother's house on Tuesday, according to the Dominican news outlet Listin Diario, and then moved on to Franco's nearby residence in his hometown of Bani.
“They went to raid two properties that Wander Franco has there, but they were not carried out, because he was not in any of those places,” a Dominican agent told the Associated Press. The person requested anonymity due to the ongoing investigation.
The agent said people at the residences were informed that Franco was being sought for questioning at the office of Public Ministry.
Franco, 22, was placed on administrative leave in August, when allegations of an improper relationship with an underage girl first surfaced. Franco, who made the American League All-Star team for the first time in 2023, has denied the allegations.
HOT STOVE UPDATES: MLB free agency: Ranking and tracking the top players available.
Franco was having his best season as a major leaguer, hitting .281 with 17 home runs and 30 stolen bases in 112 games when the allegations surfaced. He played his last game on August 12, and the Rays placed him on the restricted list two days later.
"This is a very delicate topic because there is a minor involved,’’ Angel Dario Tejada Fabal, a prosecutor in the Peravaia, a province of the Dominican Republic, told the Associated Press in August. Relationships between adults and minors under the age of 18 years old are prohibited in the Dominican Republic, regardless of whether the minor gives consent.
MLB is also conducting its own investigation.
The Rays signed Franco to an 11-year, $182 million contract in November 2021. The team put him back on the 40-man roster last month since administrative leave is only applicable during the regular season. He will continue to be paid and accrue service time while he is away from the team.
Contributing: The Associated Press
veryGood! (3428)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- WHO resolution on the Israel-Hamas conflict hopes for 'health as a bridge to peace'
- Fantasy football waiver wire Week 15 adds: 5 players you need to consider picking up now
- Doctor and self-exiled activist Gao Yaojie who exposed the AIDS epidemic in rural China dies at 95
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- What Nicole Richie Taught Sister Sofia Richie About Protecting Her Privacy
- Bravo Fans Will Love These Gift Ideas From Danny Pellegrino, Including a Scheana Shay Temporary Tattoo
- 'Alone and malnourished': Orphaned sea otter gets a new home at Chicago's Shedd Aquarium
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Teachers have been outed for moonlighting in adult content. Do they have legal recourse?
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- The Excerpt podcast: UN calls emergency meeting on Israel-Hamas cease-fire resolution
- Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Stone and More Stars React to 2024 Golden Globe Awards Nominations
- Google antitrust trial focused on Android app store payments to be handed off to jury to decide
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Elon Musk allows controversial conspiracy theorist Alex Jones back on X
- Snow blankets northern China, closing roads and schools and suspending train service
- The Excerpt podcast: UN calls emergency meeting on Israel-Hamas cease-fire resolution
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Kenya falls into darkness in the third nationwide power blackout in 3 months
Golden Globes 2024 Nominations: All the Snubs and Surprises From Taylor Swift to Selena Gomez
CBS News poll finds Americans feel inflation's impact on living standards, opportunities
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Joe Flacco named Browns starting quarterback for rest of season after beating Jaguars
Downpours, high winds prompt weather warnings in Northeast
Mark Ruffalo on his 'Poor Things' sex scenes, Oscar talk and the villain that got away