Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:Man charged with beheading father carried photos of federal buildings, bomb plans, DA says -Visionary Wealth Guides
Poinbank:Man charged with beheading father carried photos of federal buildings, bomb plans, DA says
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 16:25:36
The Poinbanksuburban Philadelphia man charged with decapitating his father and posting a video online in which he held up the severed head had a device with photos of federal buildings and apparent instructions for making explosives when he was arrested, authorities said Thursday.
Justin Mohn, 32, faces a dozen new charges, including terrorism and theft, in the death last month of his father Michael Mohn, the Bucks County District Attorney’s office said Thursday.
A woman who answered the phone at the Bucks County Public Defender’s office, listed as Mohn’s attorney, declined to comment on Thursday.
According to prosecutors, Justin Mohn fatally shot his father with a pistol he bought the day before and then used a kitchen knife and machete to decapitate Michael Mohn at the Levittown house where they both lived.
Justin Mohn then recorded a video in which he holds up his father’s head and identifies him as a 20-year federal employee, while calling for violence against the government. Prosecutors said Thursday they found blood stains on the desk in the room where the video was recorded along with a computer that had several tabs open, including one for YouTube.
In the video, Justin Mohn also espouses a variety of conspiracy theories and rants about the Biden administration, immigration and the border, fiscal policy, urban crime and the war in Ukraine.
The video was posted on YouTube for several hours before it was taken down.
Justin Mohn then took his father’s 2009 Toyota Corolla and headed toward a National Guard training center at Fort Indiantown Gap, where prosecutors said he planned to “mobilize” the guard against the federal government.
He was arrested and found with a 9 mm pistol as well as a USB device that included photos of federal buildings and apparent instructions for making an explosive device, according to prosecutors.
In an emailed statement. the FBI said it is supporting the district attorney’s investigation. A message seeking comment was left with federal prosecutors in Philadelphia.
Mohn, who is being held without bail, already faced first-degree murder, abusing a corpse and possession of instruments of crime charges.
The new complaint against him includes three terrorism charges; two more weapons possession charges as well as charges of robbery; firearms not to be carried without a license; theft; receiving stolen property; criminal use of a communication facility; terroristic threats; and defiant trespass.
Michael Mohn, 68, worked as an engineer with the geoenvironmental section of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Philadelphia District.
A preliminary hearing is set for April 2.
veryGood! (2376)
Related
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Man discovers mastodon tusk while fossil hunting underwater off Florida coast
- Texas power outage map: Over 800,000 outages reported after storms, with more on the way
- Jury in Trump’s hush money case to begin deliberations after hearing instructions from judge
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Boston Celtics now just four wins from passing Los Angeles Lakers for most NBA titles
- Another Outer Banks house collapses into the ocean, the latest such incident along NC coast
- Cicada map 2024: See where to find Broods XIII and XIX; latest info on emergence
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Planned Ross Stores distribution center in North Carolina to employ 850
Ranking
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Black Hills highway closure to upend summer holiday traffic
- Darius Rucker talks family trauma, drug use and fate: 'The best revenge is success'
- Parents of Aurora Masters, 5-year-old killed in swing set accident, want her to be remembered
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Albert Ruddy, Oscar-winning producer of ‘The Godfather’ and ‘Million Dollar Baby,’ dies at 94
- Former mayor of South Dakota town charged in shooting deaths of 3 men
- Richard Dreyfuss’ comments about women, LGBTQ+ people and diversity lead venue to apologize
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Deadliest year in a decade for executions worldwide; U.S. among top 5 countries
Stranger Things' Gaten Matarazzo Says Woman in Her 40s Confessed to Having Crush Since He Was 13
T-Mobile acquires US Cellular assets for $4.4 billion as carrier aims to boost rural connectivity
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
National Park Service denies ordering removal of American flag at Denali National Park
Pennsylvania’s Fracking Wastewater Contains a ‘Shocking’ Amount of the Critical Clean Energy Mineral Lithium
'Serial slingshot shooter' accused of terrorizing California neighborhood for a decade