Current:Home > reviewsJudge in Trump classified documents case to hear more arguments on dismissing charges -Visionary Wealth Guides
Judge in Trump classified documents case to hear more arguments on dismissing charges
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 18:48:32
FORT PIERCE, Fla. (AP) — Prosecutors and defense lawyers in the classified documents case against former President Donald Trump are due in court Wednesday for the first time since the judge indefinitely postponed the trial earlier this month.
The case, one of four criminal prosecutions against Trump, had been set for trial on May 20 but U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon cited numerous issues she has yet to resolve as a basis for canceling the trial date.
On Wednesday, Cannon was scheduled to hear arguments on a Trump request to dismiss the indictment on grounds that it fails to clearly articulate a crime and instead amounts to “a personal and political attack against President Trump” with a “litany of uncharged grievances both for public and media consumption.”
Prosecutors on special counsel Jack Smith’s team, which brought the case, will argue against that request. Trump is not expected to be present for the hearing.
The motion is one of several that Trump’s lawyers have filed to dismiss the case, some of which have already been denied.
Also scheduled for Wednesday are arguments by a Trump co-defendant, his valet Walt Nauta, to dismiss charges.
The arguments come one day after a newly unsealed motion reveals that defense lawyers are seeking to exclude evidence from the boxes of records that FBI agents seized during a search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate nearly two years ago.
The defense lawyers asserted in the motion that the August 2022 search was unconstitutional and “illegal” and the FBI affidavit filed in justification of it was tainted by misrepresentations.
Smith’s team rejected each of those accusations and defended the investigative approach as “measured” and “graduated.” They said the search warrant was obtained after investigators collected surveillance video showing what they said was a concerted effort to conceal the boxes of classified documents inside the property.
“The warrant was supported by a detailed affidavit that established probable cause and did not omit any material information. And the warrant provided ample guidance to the FBI agents who conducted the search. Trump identifies no plausible basis to suppress the fruits of that search,” prosecutors wrote.
The defense motion was filed in February but was made public on Tuesday, along with hundreds of pages of documents from the investigation that were filed to the case docket in Florida.
Those include a previously sealed opinion last year from the then-chief judge of the federal court in Washington, which said that Trump’s lawyers, months after the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago, had turned over four additional documents with classification markings that were found in Trump’s bedroom.
That March 2023 opinion from U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell directed a former lead lawyer for Trump in the case to abide by a grand jury subpoena and to turn over materials to investigators, rejecting defense arguments that their cooperation was prohibited by attorney-client privilege and concluding that prosecutors had made a “prima facie” showing that Trump had committed a crime.
Trump has pleaded not guilty and denied any wrongdoing.
___
Tucker reported from Washington.
veryGood! (663)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Spurs rookie sensation sidelined for at least one game with sprained ankle
- 1 dead and 5 injured, including a police officer, after shooting near Indianapolis bar
- Olivia Colman slams Hollywood pay disparities and says she'd earn more if she were a man
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- UFC fighter disqualified for biting opponent, winner celebrates by getting tattoo
- What do we know about Princess Kate's cancer diagnosis so far? Doctors share insights
- Below Deck Trailer: See an Iconic Real Housewife Rock the Boat With Her Demands
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Women’s March Madness Sunday recap: No. 2 Stanford survives ISU in OT; No. 1 South Carolina rolls
Ranking
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Colorado university hires 2 former US attorneys to review shooting, recommend any changes
- Spring Into Style With the Best Plus Size Fashion Deals From Amazon: Leggings, Dresses, Workwear & More
- Horoscopes Today, March 23, 2024
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Stock market today: Asian shares trade mixed after Wall Street closes near record finish
- Kevin Hart accepts Mark Twain Prize for humor, says committing to comedy was a 'gamble'
- Navy identifies U.S. sailor lost overboard in Red Sea
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
U.S. Border Patrol chief calls southern border a national security threat, citing 140,000 migrants who evaded capture
Why Frankie Muniz says he would 'never' let his son be a child star
Riley Strain's Mom Makes Tearful Plea After College Student's Tragic Death
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
Death of Missouri student Riley Strain appears accidental, police in Tennessee say
Energy agency announces $6 billion to slash emissions in industrial facilities
Katie Couric reveals birth of first grandchild, significance behind name: 'I am thrilled'