Current:Home > MarketsAlabama man pleads guilty to threatening Georgia prosecutor and sheriff over Trump election case -Visionary Wealth Guides
Alabama man pleads guilty to threatening Georgia prosecutor and sheriff over Trump election case
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 16:28:45
ATLANTA (AP) — An Alabama man pleaded guilty Tuesday to leaving threatening phone messages for Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis and the county sheriff last summer because he was angry over the election-interference investigation into former President Donald Trump.
Arthur Ray Hanson II made the phone calls just over a week before Trump and 18 others were indicted in Fulton County on Aug. 14.
Hanson of Huntsville, Alabama, told a federal judge at his plea hearing Tuesday that he never meant harm to Willis, whose office is prosecuting Trump and the others, or to Sheriff Patrick Labat, whose staff booked the former president at the Fulton County jail and took his mug shot.
“I made a stupid phone call,” Hanson said in court. “I’m not a violent person.”
He will be sentenced at a later date, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. Assistant U.S. Attorney Bret Hobson told the judge that prosecutors will seek leniency for Hanson because he took responsibility for his actions.
At the plea hearing, Hanson admitted to calling a Fulton County government customer service line on Aug. 6 and leaving voicemails for the prosecutor and the sheriff.
In one message, Hanson warned Willis: “When you charge Trump on that fourth indictment, anytime you’re alone, be looking over your shoulder.”
His message for Labat warned of consequences for taking a jail booking photo of Trump.
“If you take a mug shot of the president and you’re the reason it happened, some bad (expletive)’s gonna happen to you,” the voice message said, according to court records.
The indictment obtained by Willis’ office alleged a wide-ranging scheme by Trump and others to overturn the 2020 election results in Georgia. It was the fourth criminal case brought against the former president in a matter of months and had been widely anticipated.
The sheriff commented publicly beforehand that anyone indicted in the case would be booked according to normal procedures, including having a jail mug shot taken.
A federal grand jury indicted Hanson in October on charges of making interstate threats via phone.
Hanson told U.S. Magistrate Regina Cannon on Tuesday that he was angered by the investigation of Trump and made the phone calls hoping authorities would back down.
“I didn’t knowingly know I was threatening anybody,” he told the judge. “To me, it was a warning.”
veryGood! (96561)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Study finds 129,000 Chicago children under 6 have been exposed to lead-contaminated water
- Polygamous sect member pleads guilty in scheme to orchestrate sexual acts involving children
- Mike Bost survives GOP primary challenge from the right to win nomination for sixth term
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Missing Wisconsin toddler Elijah Vue's blanket found as monthlong search continues
- DNA from discarded gum links Oregon man to 1980 murder of college student
- Bill would require Rhode Island gun owners to lock firearms when not in use
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- California tribe that lost 90% of land during Gold Rush to get site to serve as gateway to redwoods
Ranking
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Eiza González slams being labeled 'too hot' for roles, says Latinas are 'overly sexualized'
- Arkansas airport executive director, ATF agent wounded in Little Rock home shootout
- Mike Bost survives GOP primary challenge from the right to win nomination for sixth term
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Woman walking with male companion dies after being chased down by bear in Slovakia
- U.S. drops from top 20 happiest countries list in 2024 World Happiness Report
- Blinken says all of Gaza facing acute food insecurity as U.S. pushes Netanyahu over his war plans
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
A timeline of events the night Riley Strain went missing in Nashville
Family sorting through father's Massachusetts attic found looted Japanese art: See photos
Mega Millions winning numbers for March 19 drawing: Lottery jackpot soars to $977 million
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Food deals for March Madness: Get freebies, discounts at Buffalo Wild Wings, Wendy's, more
Vanderpump Rules' Tom Sandoval Is Now Comparing Himself to Murderer Scott Peterson
Get 50% Off Kylie Cosmetics, 60% Off J.Crew Jeans, 35% Off Cocoon by Sealy Mattresses & More Daily Deals