Current:Home > MarketsInternational Ice Hockey Federation to mandate neck guards after the death of a player by skate cut -Visionary Wealth Guides
International Ice Hockey Federation to mandate neck guards after the death of a player by skate cut
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 15:40:07
The International Ice Hockey Federation announced Monday it is making neck guards mandatory for all levels of competition in the tournaments it runs, including the Olympics and men’s and women’s world championships.
The mandate would not apply to professional leagues, including the NHL, which currently does not have any cut-proof safety requirements for players. Any sort of mandate in the NHL would require an agreement between the league and players’ union, which have been discussing skate blade safety for years.
The IIHF’s move comes after the death of American Adam Johnson, whose neck was cut by a skate blade during a game in England in late October. Johnson’s death at age 29 is being investigated, and the on-ice tragedy has sparked significant debate around the sport about the need for more protection of the neck, wrists and legs.
The exact date for the IIHF neck guard mandate to go into place is still to be determined, based on the supply of neck guards available.
“The IIHF remains in close contact with its suppliers to ensure they are able to respond to the current high demand,” the organization said. “Until the rule officially goes into effect, the IIHF continues to strongly recommend that neck laceration protectors are worn by all players performing in an IIHF competition.”
Before now, the IIHF initially had neck protection rules only for under-20 and under-18 play, so neck guards were already mandatory in tournaments like the world junior championship. The organization that governs hockey around the world decided to widen the order based on the recommendation of its medical committee.
The English Ice Hockey Association, which governs the sport below the Elite League where Johnson played, reacted to his death by requiring all players in England to wear neck guards beginning in 2024. Similar to the IIHF, the mandate was not immediate because of supply issues.
NHL VP of hockey operations Rod Pasma addressed general managers last month on cut-proof equipment. Pasma said players have far more options than a decade ago, including 10 or more choices for wrist, body and Achilles tendon/foot protection but fewer options for neck guards.
“In the neck, we’re getting there,” Pasma said. “We (did not have) many a month ago, but as it sits today, I think there’s up to eight companies on my desk waiting to be cleared, and of those eight there’s probably 12-14 options to wear, should they choose.”
Several NHL players, including Washington’s T.J. Oshie and Tampa Bay’s Cole Koepke, have donned neck guards for games this season in light of Johnson’s death.
“NHL guys, I think it’s super important that they know it’s going to be available,” Oshie said. “We’re grown men. If you don’t want to do it, you don’t. At least now, middle of the season, I don’t know if it’s necessary to mandate it, but you can make your own choices. I made my choice for my kids. I want to stick around from them. Just trying to decrease the chance of injury.”
___
AP NHL: https://apnews.com/hub/nhl
veryGood! (634)
Related
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- 4-year-old American Abigail Mor Edan among third group of hostages released by Hamas
- Jennifer Lawrence Reacts to Plastic Surgery Speculation
- Before dying, she made a fund to cancel others' medical debt — nearly $70m worth
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Elon Musk visits Israel to meet top leaders as accusations of antisemitism on X grow
- Eagles troll Kansas City Chiefs with Taylor Swift reference after big win
- When do babies typically start walking? How to help them get there.
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Remains of a WWII heavy bomber gunner identified nearly 80 years after his death
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Beyoncé Reveals Blue Ivy Carter’s Motivation for Perfecting Renaissance Dance Routine
- It's holiday cookie baking season: Try these expert tips to make healthy cookies.
- Michigan State Police places Flint post command staff on leave pending internal investigation
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Tiger Woods makes comeback at 2023 Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas
- No-call for potential horse-collar tackle on Josh Allen plays key role in Bills' loss to Eagles
- Puerto Rico opposition party will hold a gubernatorial primary after its president enters race
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
2 men exonerated for 1990s NYC murders after reinvestigations find unreliable witness testimony
Indigenous approach to agriculture could change our relationship to food, help the land
Spain announces a 1.4 billion-euro deal to help protect the prized Doñana wetland from drying up
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Family of Taylor Swift fan who died attends final 2023 Eras Tour show
The 40 Best Cyber Monday Deals on Celebrity Brands: SKIMS, Good American, Jordan, Fenty Beauty, and More
As Trump’s fraud trial eyes his sweeping financial reports, executive says they’re not done anymore