Current:Home > ContactTigers broadcaster Craig Monroe being investigated for alleged criminal sexual conduct -Visionary Wealth Guides
Tigers broadcaster Craig Monroe being investigated for alleged criminal sexual conduct
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 22:40:37
Craig Monroe, a former baseball player with the Detroit Tigers and a current television and radio analyst covering the team, is the subject of a law enforcement investigation into alleged criminal sexual conduct in Florida, according to records obtained by the Detroit Free Press, part of the USA TODAY Network.
The news comes weeks after the Tigers and Bally Sports Detroit pulled Monroe from broadcasts following allegations of sexual assault posted to social media.
In a statement late Tuesday from a lawyer, Monroe denied the allegations.
Gabriella Ruiz, a spokesperson with the Charlotte County (Florida) Sheriff’s Office, confirmed authorities are looking into Monroe, but declined to provide additional details.
"This is an active investigation and anyone with information is asked to come forward," Ruiz said in an email Tuesday afternoon, declining to provide additional information.
All things Tigers: Latest Detroit Tigers news, schedule, roster, stats, injury updates and more.
On Tuesday, the Free Press filed a request under Florida open records laws with the Sheriff's Office for documents pertaining to Monroe. The record provided is heavily redacted, but indicates on June 12 someone with the office spoke with a caller about an "alleged sexual crime" in Port Charlotte, Florida.
The report indicates the investigation description is an "alledge (sic) child sex crime."
Until recently, Monroe worked for Bally Sports Detroit as an analyst covering the Tigers. He was abruptly pulled from his job after a June 9 game and has not worked a telecast since.
Both the Tigers and Bally Sports confirmed removing him from their schedule, noting the misconduct allegations posted to social media.
"Bally Sports Detroit and the Tigers are aware of the social media allegations and take them seriously. As previously stated, Mr. Monroe has not been on the broadcast schedule and that will continue on an indefinite basis. We will have no further comment and any questions should be directed to Mr. Monroe," the network and team relayed in a joint statement.
The woman who posted the allegations said in at least one video she already approached police. The Free Press messaged with her Saturday through X, formerly Twitter, at which time she said she was consulting with her lawyer. The Free Press reached back out Tuesday, but had not yet heard back.
Michael Manley, a Flint lawyer for Monroe who has represented other former athletes, said in an emailed statement that his client "has no choice but to vehemently deny these claims."
“Craig Monroe takes allegations of this nature very seriously and would never commit or condone such despicable conduct,” Manley said in part of the statement, noting his client will cooperate with law enforcement.
“We trust that law enforcement will uncover the truth regarding her background and motivations.”
The allegations suggest Monroe repeatedly engaged in criminal sexual conduct starting when the woman was 12 and both lived in Florida. The woman who made the posts does not provide her full name, but does offer specific descriptions of alleged illegal conduct in both video and text formats.
Monroe, 47, played outfield for the Tigers from 2002 to 2007. He joined Bally Sports covering the Tigers in 2012.
Reach Dave Boucher at [email protected] and on X, previously Twitter, @Dave_Boucher1.
veryGood! (2526)
Related
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- With affirmative action gutted for college, race-conscious work programs may be next
- Why Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson Are One of Hollywood's Best Love Stories
- Swimming Against the Tide, a Retired Connecticut Official Won’t Stop Fighting for the Endangered Atlantic Salmon
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- He lost $340,000 to a crypto scam. Such cases are on the rise
- Harry Styles Reacts to Tennis Star Elina Monfils Giving Up Concert Tickets Amid Wimbledon Run
- Environmentalists Fear a Massive New Plastics Plant Near Pittsburgh Will Worsen Pollution and Stimulate Fracking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Is greedflation really the villain?
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- How Kyra Sedgwick Made Kevin Bacon's 65th Birthday a Perfect Day
- Here's How Margot Robbie Really Achieves Her Barbie Blonde Hair
- Save 40% On Top-Rated Mascaras From Tarte, Lancôme, It Cosmetics, Urban Decay, Too Faced, and More
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Harry Styles Reacts to Tennis Star Elina Monfils Giving Up Concert Tickets Amid Wimbledon Run
- Inside Clean Energy: Some EVs Now Pay for Themselves in a Year
- He lost $340,000 to a crypto scam. Such cases are on the rise
Recommendation
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Mike The Mover vs. The Furniture Police
Feel Cool This Summer in a Lightweight Romper That’s Chic and Comfy With 1,700+ 5-Star Amazon Reviews
Live Nation and Ticketmaster tell Biden they're going to show fees up front
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
The missing submersible raises troubling questions for the adventure tourism industry
When big tech laid off these H-1B workers, a countdown began
In Texas, a New Study Will Determine Where Extreme Weather Hazards and Environmental Justice Collide