Current:Home > FinanceEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Judge moves to slash $38 million verdict in New Hampshire youth center abuse case -Visionary Wealth Guides
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Judge moves to slash $38 million verdict in New Hampshire youth center abuse case
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 13:46:34
CONCORD,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center N.H. (AP) — The judge who oversaw a landmark civil trial over abuse at New Hampshire’s youth detention center has issued a preliminary order slashing the $38 million verdict against the state to $475,000. Rockingham County Superior Court Judge Andrew Schulman previously said reducing the amount awarded to plaintiff David Meehan by nearly 99% would be an “unconscionable miscarriage of justice,” He reiterated that belief in a Nov. 4 order, but “reluctantly” granted the state’s request to the cap the award and said he would enter a final judgement to that effect on Friday barring any last-minute requests from attorneys.
Meehan’s allegations of horrific sexual and physical abuse at the Youth Development Center in 1990s led to a broad criminal investigation resulting in multiple arrests. His civil lawsuit seeking to hold the state accountable was the first of more than 1,100 to go to trial. Although jurors sided with him in May after a monthlong trial, confusion arose over how much money they could award in damages.
The dispute involves part of the verdict form that asked jurors “How many incidents does the jury unanimously find the plaintiff has proven by a preponderance of the evidence?” Jurors were not informed that state law caps claims against the state at $475,000 per “incident.”
Some jurors later said they wrote “one” on the verdict form to reflect that they believed Meehan suffered a single case of post-traumatic stress disorder resulting from more than 100 episodes of physical, sexual and emotional abuse. The state has interpreted the verdict to mean that jurors found it liable for only one “incident” of abuse at the Manchester facility, now called the Sununu Youth Services Center.
The judge has denied Meehan’s motions for a new trial focused only on determining the number of incidents or to set aside just the portion of the verdict in which jurors wrote one incident. He said an entirely new trial remains an option, but Meehan’s attorneys have not requested one.
Meehan, 42, went to police in 2017 and sued the state three years later. Since then, 11 former state workers have been arrested, though one has since died and charges against another were dropped after the man, now in his early 80s, was found incompetent to stand trial.
The only criminal case to go to trial so far ended in a mistrial in September after jurors deadlocked on whether the defendant, Victor Malavet, raped a girl at a separate state-run facility in Concord.
Bradley Asbury, who has pleaded not guilty to holding down a teenage boy while other staffers sexually assaulted him in Manchester, goes on trial next week.
veryGood! (26965)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Timeline of the Assange legal saga over extradition to the US on espionage charges
- Closing arguments set in trial of University of Arizona grad student accused of killing a professor
- Child is among 3 dead after Amtrak train hits a pickup truck in upstate New York
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Sentencing trial set to begin for Florida man who executed 5 women at a bank in 2019
- Michael Cohen to face more grilling as Trump’s hush money trial enters its final stretch
- Is iMessage not working? Thousands of users report Apple service down Thursday afternoon
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Scarlett Johansson, Rami Malek and More Stars You Probably Didn't Know Are a Twin
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- CNN political commentator Alice Stewart dies at 58
- Tempers flare between Tigers and Diamondbacks' dugouts over pitching mound at Chase Field
- WNBA investigating $100,000 annual sponsorships for Aces players from Las Vegas tourism authority
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Man City wins record fourth-straight Premier League title after 3-1 win against West Ham
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Home Stretch
- Edmonton Oilers force Game 7 with rout of Vancouver Canucks
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Whoopi Goldberg reflects on family, career in new memoir Bits and Pieces
San Diego deputy who pleaded guilty to manslaughter now faces federal charges
How long will cicadas be around this year? Here's when to expect Brood XIX, XIII to die off
Trump's 'stop
Kevin Costner gets epic standing ovation for 'Horizon: An American Saga,' moved to tears
Bodies of three hostages, including Shani Louk, recovered by Israeli forces in Gaza, officials say
What time is 'American Idol' finale tonight? Top 3 contestants, guests, where to watch