Current:Home > FinancePoinbank Exchange|Menendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case -Visionary Wealth Guides
Poinbank Exchange|Menendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 23:37:58
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Poinbank Exchangeextended family of Erik and Lyle Menendez will advocate for the brothers’ release from prison during a news conference set for Wednesday in downtown Los Angeles as prosecutors review new evidence to determine whether they should be serving life sentences for killing their parents.
Billed as “a powerful show of unity” by more than a dozen family members — including the brothers’ aunt — who are traveling across the country to Los Angeles, the news conference will take place less than two weeks after LA County District Attorney George Gascón announced his office was looking at the brothers’ case again.
Erik Menendez, now 53, and his 56-year-old brother, Lyle Menendez, are currently incarcerated in state prison without the possibility of parole after being convicted of killing their parents in their Beverly Hills mansion more than 35 years ago.
Lyle Menendez, who was then 21, and Erik Menendez, then 18, admitted they fatally shot-gunned their entertainment executive father, Jose Menendez, and their mother, Kitty Menendez, in 1989 but said they feared their parents were about to kill them to prevent the disclosure of the father’s long-term sexual molestation of Erik.
The extended family’s attorney Bryan Freedman previously said they strongly support the brothers’ release. Comedian Rosie O’Donnell also plans to join the family on Wednesday.
“She wishes nothing more than for them to be released,” Freedman said earlier this month of Joan VanderMolen, Kitty Menendez’s sister and the brothers’ aunt.
Earlier this month, Gascón said there is no question the brothers committed the 1989 murders, but his office will be reviewing new evidence and will make a decision on whether a resentencing is warranted in the notorious case that captured national attention.
The brothers’ attorneys said the family believed from the beginning they should have been charged with manslaughter rather than murder. Manslaughter was not an option for the jury during the second trial that ultimately led to the brothers’ murder conviction, attorney Mark Geragos previously said.
The case has gained new traction in recent weeks after Netflix began streaming the true-crime drama “ Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story. ”
The new evidence includes a letter written by Erik Menendez that his attorneys say corroborates the allegations that he was sexually abused by his father. A hearing was scheduled for Nov. 29.
Prosecutors at the time contended there was no evidence of any molestation. They said the sons were after their parents’ multimillion-dollar estate.
But the brothers have said they killed their parents out of self-defense after enduring a lifetime of physical, emotional and sexual abuse from them. Their attorneys argue that because of society’s changing views on sexual abuse, that the brothers may not have been convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life without parole today.
Jurors in 1996 rejected a death sentence in favor of life without parole.
veryGood! (3718)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Neymar in tears while being carted off after suffering apparent knee injury
- Here are the most popular Halloween costumes of 2023, according to Google
- Lower house of Russian parliament votes to revoke ratification of global nuclear test ban
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- What does 'tfw' mean? What to know if you're unsure how to use the term when texting
- UK national, South African and local guide killed in an attack near a Ugandan national park
- Remains found in 1996 near Indianapolis identified as 9th presumed victim of long-dead suspect
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Uncle of 6-year-old Muslim stabbed to death in alleged hate crime speaks out
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Pentagon releases footage of hundreds of ‘highly concerning’ aircraft intercepts by Chinese planes
- Destruction at Gaza hospital increases stakes for Biden’s trip to Israel and Jordan
- West Virginia teacher charged with abuse after student says she duct taped mouth, hands
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- New Orleans district attorney and his mother were carjacked, his office says
- Justice Amy Coney Barrett says it would be a good idea for Supreme Court to adopt ethics rules
- Alec Baldwin has 'criminal culpability' in deadly 'Rust' shooting, prosecutors say
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
DC Young Fly’s Sister Dies 4 Months After His Partner Jacky Oh
Men charged with kidnapping and torturing man in case of mistaken identity
Nintendo shows off a surreal masterpiece in 'Super Mario Bros. Wonder'
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
19 suspects go on trial in Paris in deaths of 39 migrants who suffocated in a truck in 2019
More US ships head toward Israel and 2,000 troops are on heightened alert. A look at US assistance
Republicans and Democrats agree on one thing: The Afghan war wasn’t worth it, AP-NORC poll shows