Current:Home > ContactOwners of Pulse nightclub, where 49 died in mass shooting, won’t be charged -Visionary Wealth Guides
Owners of Pulse nightclub, where 49 died in mass shooting, won’t be charged
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:28:24
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — The Orlando Police Department has closed its investigation into the former owners of the Pulse nightclub without filing any charges. Victims’ families and survivors of the killing of 49 patrons at the LGBTQ-friendly club had asked law enforcement to investigate them for criminal culpability.
No charges will be filed against former owners Barbara and Rosario Poma because probable cause didn’t exist for involuntary manslaughter by culpable negligence, the Orlando police said this week in an emailed statement.
About two dozen people, mostly survivors and family members of those who died in the 2016 shooting, gave statements to investigators. They said that building plans weren’t available to first responders during the three hours hostages were held in the club and that unpermitted renovations and building modifications had occurred. They also maintained that the club was likely above capacity, that it had operated for years in violation of its conditional use permit, and that there were security and risk-management failures.
Despite efforts to reach the the Pomas, investigators weren’t able to interview them.
They determined that the lack of building plans didn’t hamper rescuers, that it was impossible to identify how many people were in the club that night, that the city of Orlando never took any action against Pulse when the nightclub changed its interior, and that there were too many unknowns about how gunman Omar Mateen entered.
None of the Pomas’ actions were done “with a reckless disregard for human life,” and “they could not have reasonably foreseen or anticipated a terrorist incident taking place at Pulse,” investigators wrote in a report.
Mateen opened fire during a Latin night celebration June 12, 2016, leaving 49 dead and 53 wounded. At the time, it was the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history. Mateen, who had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, was killed after a three-hour standoff with police.
The Pulse shooting’s death toll was surpassed the following year when 58 people were killed and more than 850 injured among a crowd of 22,000 at a country music festival in Las Vegas.
The city of Orlando purchased the Pulse property last year for $2 million.
Before the Pomas and another businessperson sold the property, Barbara Poma was the executive director of the onePulse Foundation, the nonprofit that had been leading efforts to build a memorial and museum. The original project, unveiled in 2019 by the onePulse Foundation, called for a museum and permanent memorial costing $45 million. That estimate eventually soared to $100 million.
Barbara Poma stepped down as executive director in 2022 and left the organization entirely last year amid conflict-of-interest criticism over her stated desire to sell instead of donate the Pulse property.
The city has since outlined more modest plans for a memorial. The original idea for a museum has been jettisoned, and city leaders formed an advisory board to help determine what the memorial will look like.
___
Follow Mike Schneider on the social platform X: @MikeSchneiderAP
veryGood! (62594)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Jewish groups file federal complaint alleging antisemitism in Fulton schools
- Silk non-dairy milk recalled in Canada amid listeria outbreak: Deaths increased to three
- Harvard and graduate students settle sexual harassment lawsuit
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Evers’ transportation secretary will resign in September to take job at UW-Madison
- Watch mom freeze in shock when airman son surprises her after two years apart
- Watch as the 1,064-HP 2025 Chevy Corvette ZR1 rips to 205 MPH
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- BeatKing, Houston Rapper Also Known as Club Godzilla, Dead at 39
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Does Micellar Water Work As Dry Shampoo? I Tried the TikTok Hack and These Are My Results
- Rookie Weston Wilson hits for cycle as Phillies smash Nationals
- AP Week in Pictures: Global
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Everything at Old Navy Is 40% off! Build Your Fall Fit with $20 Jeans, $7 Tops, $17 Dresses & More
- Mark Meadows tries to move his charges in Arizona’s fake electors case to federal court
- Round 2 of US Rep. Gaetz vs. former Speaker McCarthy plays out in Florida GOP primary
Recommendation
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
Babe Ruth jersey could sell for record-breaking $30 million at auction
Lily Collins has found ‘Emily 2.0’ in Paris
Man didn’t know woman he fatally shot in restaurant drive-thru before killing himself, police say
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Amid Matthew Perry arrests, should doctors be blamed for overdose deaths?
Escaped inmate convicted of murder captured in North Carolina hotel after dayslong manhunt
Olympic Runner Noah Lyles Reveals He Grew Up in a “Super Strict” Cult