Current:Home > MarketsAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Boston lawyer once named ‘most eligible bachelor’ is sentenced to 5-10 years for raping 21-year-old -Visionary Wealth Guides
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Boston lawyer once named ‘most eligible bachelor’ is sentenced to 5-10 years for raping 21-year-old
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:49:25
BOSTON (AP) — A former Boston lawyer and Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Centerprosecutor who was once named one of People magazine’s most eligible bachelors was sentenced Monday to between five and 10 years in state prison for rape.
Gary Zerola, 52, was found guilty last month after a jury deliberated for five hours and has been incarcerated since then. He was acquitted of a greater charge of aggravated rape and burglary.
Prosecutors said that Zerola, in January 2021, paid more than $2,000 for a night of drinking with a woman he was dating and her 21-year-old friend who’d just graduated from college. The friend became intoxicated and had to be helped back to her Beacon Hill apartment. Zerola later entered the apartment without permission and sexually assaulted the woman around 2 a.m. while she was sleeping, prosecutors said.
In a victim impact statement that was read in court, the woman said she’d tried desperately to not allow the incident to affect her, or to give Zerola any power over the rest of her life. But she said that participating in the trial had brought up “the significant and insidious effect this event has had on my life.”
“For months after the incident, I experienced nightly recurring nightmares reliving the assault. Even today, I still have nightmares of someone breaking into my apartment and trying to assault me,” the woman wrote.
The Associated Press does not generally name victims of sexual assault.
“These cases are always difficult, and this victim deserves enormous credit for taking the stand and telling the jury what happened to her that night,” Suffolk District Attorney Kevin Hayden said in a statement after the verdict.
Zerola’s attorney Joseph Krowski Jr. said Monday that his client is appealing the conviction. He said the sentence wasn’t what they wanted, but was within or close to the recommended guideline range for somebody without a previous criminal record. He pointed out that Zerola had been acquitted on two of the three original charges.
Krowski Jr. said his client was doing “as well as could be expected under the circumstances” and was going to put his time to good use and come out of the experience for the better.
Zerola had previously been accused of other sexual assaults but wasn’t convicted in those cases. He had faced two rape charges in Suffolk County and was acquitted in 2023, according to the district’s attorney’s office. He also was charged in three sexual assault cases between 2006 and 2007, but was not convicted.
Zerola worked as an assistant district attorney in Essex County for one year, and in Suffolk County for two months in 2000, according to former District Attorney Rachael Rollins’ office.
He was arrested in January 2021.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Meet The Marías: The bilingual band thriving after romantic breakup, singing with Bad Bunny
- Wildfire near Canada’s oil sands hub under control, Alberta officials say
- US pledges $135 million in aid to Western-leaning Moldova to counter Russian influence
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Chelsea hires Sonia Bompastor as its new head coach after Emma Hayes’ departure
- Louisiana may soon require public school classrooms to display the Ten Commandments
- Man accused of driving toward people outside New York Jewish school charged with hate crimes
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- South Africa’s surprise election challenger is evoking the past anti-apartheid struggle
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- North Korea flies hundreds of balloons full of trash over South Korea
- NTSB now leading probe into deadly Ohio building explosion
- Alabama inmate Jamie Ray Mills to be 2nd inmate executed by the state in 2024. What to know
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Is 'color analysis' real? I put the viral TikTok phenomenon to the test − and was shocked.
- A group of armed men burns a girls’ school in northwest Pakistan, in third such attack this month
- Haiti's transitional council names Garry Conille as new prime minister as country remains under siege by gangs
Recommendation
Small twin
Vermont police conclude case of dead baby more than 40 years later and say no charges will be filed
UN chief cites the promise and perils of dizzying new technology as ‘AI for Good’ conference opens
The love in Bill Walton's voice when speaking about his four sons was unforgettable
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Trial postponed in financial dispute over Ohio ancient earthworks deemed World Heritage site
Suki Waterhouse Shares Cheeky Update on Her and Robert Pattinson's Baby Girl
French prosecutor in New Caledonia says authorities are investigating suspects behind deadly unrest