Current:Home > InvestLawyer for keffiyeh-wearing, pro-Palestinian protester questions arrest under local face mask ban -Visionary Wealth Guides
Lawyer for keffiyeh-wearing, pro-Palestinian protester questions arrest under local face mask ban
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:29:03
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) — A lawyer for a pro-Palestinian protester charged with violating a New York county’s face mask ban for wearing a keffiyeh scarf questioned Wednesday whether his client’s arrest was justified.
Xavier Roa was merely exercising his constitutionally protected free speech rights as he led others in protest chants last month outside Young Israel of Lawrence-Cedarhurst, an orthodox synagogue near the New York City borough of Queens, attorney Geoffrey Stewart said following Roa’s arraignment in Nassau County District Court in Hempstead.
Stewart said the county’s Mask Transparency Act, which was signed into law in August, bans mask wearing if police have reasonable suspicion to believe the person was involved in criminal activity or intends to “intimidate, threaten, abuse, or harass” anyone.
He questioned whether Roa had been attempting to conceal his identity, as police claim. Stewart noted his client had the Arab scarf draped around his neck and only pulled it over his face shortly before his arrest, meaning he was readily identifiable to officers for much of the demonstration.
Videosshared on social mediashow Roa wearing the keffiyeh around his neck as he’s led away by officers in handcuffs.
“By all accounts, he complied and acted respectfully to officers,” Stewart added.
Nassau County District Attorney Anne Donnelly’s office, which is prosecuting the case, declined to comment Wednesday.
Nassau County police, in their complaint filed in court, said Roa acknowledged to officers at the time that he was wearing the scarf in solidarity with Palestinians and not for medical or religious purposes, which are the main exceptions to the new ban.
The 26-year-old North Bellmore resident is due back in court Oct. 17 and faces up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine if convicted of the misdemeanor charge.
County lawmakers have said they enacted the ban in response to antisemitic incidents since the Oct. 7 start of the Israel-Hamas war.
Roa is the first protester among the handful so far arrested in connection with the new law, which has raised concerns from civil rights groups.
A federal judge last week dismissed a class action lawsuit claiming the ban was unconstitutional and discriminated against people with disabilities. In the ruling, U.S. District Judge Joan Azrack noted the ban exempts people who wear masks for health reasons.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (1789)
Related
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- South Carolina death row inmate told to choose between execution methods
- 16 Life-Changing Products on Sale this October Prime Day 2024 You Never Knew You Needed—Starting at $4
- Colorado’s Supreme Court dismisses suit against baker who wouldn’t make a cake for transgender woman
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- How elections forecasters became political ‘prophets’
- Judge declines bid by New Hampshire parents to protest transgender players at school soccer games
- Dream Builder Wealth Society: Precise Strategy, Winning the Future
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Callable CDs are great, until the bank wants it back. What to do if that happens.
Ranking
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- The Flaming Lips Drummer Steven Drozd’s 16-Year-Old Daughter is Missing
- When does 'Abbott Elementary' return? Season 4 premiere date, time, cast, where to watch and stream
- Education Pioneer Wealth Society: Empowering the Future, Together with Education Pioneers
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Love Is Blind's Amber Pike and Matt Barnett Expecting First Baby
- Dodgers pitcher Walker Buehler was 'unknowingly' robbed at Santa Anita Park in September
- 'We're just exhausted': The battered and storm-weary prepare for landfall. Again.
Recommendation
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Not all elections look the same. Here are some of the different ways states run their voting
Election conspiracy theories fueled a push to hand-count votes, but doing so is risky and slow
Justin Timberlake Suffers Injury and Cancels New Jersey Concert
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
'Our fallen cowgirl': 2024 Miss Teen Rodeo Kansas dies in car crash, teammates injured
Video shows nearly 100 raccoons swarm woman's yard, prompting 911 call in Washington
Second minor league umpire sues MLB, alleges firing was retaliation for sexual assault complaint