Current:Home > NewsNYC’s plan to ease gridlock and pump billions into mass transit? A $15 toll for Manhattan drivers -Visionary Wealth Guides
NYC’s plan to ease gridlock and pump billions into mass transit? A $15 toll for Manhattan drivers
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 17:12:29
NEW YORK (AP) — Between bridge and tunnel tolls, parking fees and the ever-present risk of getting a traffic ticket, it can already cost a mint to drive into Manhattan.
Is forking over another $15 for the privilege of driving into the most traffic-choked parts of the island enough to finally get more people out of their cars and onto mass transit?
That’s the hope, at least among some New York officials.
The Big Apple is close to implementing a plan that would use license-plate readers to turn all of Manhattan south of Central Park into one giant toll zone.
Most drivers in private cars would pay a congestion fee of at least $15, or $22.50 if they aren’t enrolled in a regional toll collection program. That would come on top of the already hefty tolls to enter the city via some river crossings, like the $13.38 to $17.63 it costs to take a car through the Lincoln or Holland tunnels.
That price tag, it’s hoped, will lead to fewer traffic jams, reduce air pollution and provide a desperately needed annual cash infusion of around $1 billion for the city’s subway and bus systems, which carry some 4 million riders daily.
If the plan is finalized, New York would become the first U.S. city to join a handful globally with similar congestion pricing schemes, including London, Stockholm, Milan and Singapore, which is credited with pioneering the first such program in 1975.
But the lofty plan, which is aiming for a summer launch, still faces roadblocks and questions about whether it’s worth it.
Public school teachers are among those expected to plead for an exemption at a series of public hearings that kick off Thursday.
Manhattan business owners are fretting about the impact on the local economy. Suburban commuters are furious over the prospect of even costlier workday drives.
The fee is a particularly tough pill for civil servants, many of whom don’t have a choice where they’re assigned, said Paul Caminiti, a public school teacher who drives in from Staten Island.
He says his options are either to swallow an additional $2,700 a year in fees to maintain his current half-hour drive or take as many as three buses that can take nearly two hours, including wait times.
“To the regular person that’s paying all this extra money, that does mean a lot,” Caminiti said.
For supporters of the plan, though, nothing less than the essence of New York is at stake. Only about 40% of city households own a car. People who don’t drive need a reliable and affordable mass transit system, said Danny Pearlstein, of the Riders Alliance.
“New York is utterly and completely dependent on transit,” he said. “New York has decided to invest in the infrastructure that makes New York possible.”
American cities should take heed of London’s experience, suggests Michael Manville, a professor who chairs the urban planning department at UCLA.
While use of private cars there plummeted in the early years, traffic has essentially returned to pre-fee levels more than two decades on, he says.
That could be because the city has granted many exemptions — the city’s famous black cabs, vehicles transporting people with disabilities and even electric vehicles don’t pay the roughly $19 fee, according to Manville.
“There’s always going to be carve-outs,” he said. “But the further and further you start going down that road, there lies madness.”
So far, New York’s plan includes exemptions for emergency vehicles, transit buses, certain vehicles carrying people with disabilities and specialized government vehicles. Low-income city residents also can qualify for a discounted rate and a tax credit.
Passengers using Uber, Lyft and other app-based rides in Manhattan would be assessed a $2.50 surcharge per trip, while taxis and black car riders would be taxed $1.25. Those fees, which would come on top of a $2.75 congestion charge already imposed on for-hire rides in Manhattan, will be passed on to passengers, but will still hurt drivers if people forgo costlier rides into the city center, argues Raul Rivera of the driver advocacy group NYC Drivers Unite.
Trucks and for-profit buses, meanwhile, would pay stepped-up fees ranging from $24 to $36.
Congestion fees would be reduced during the quieter night hours, but would be in effect weekends.
John McCarthy, chief of policy at the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which stands to benefit from the cash infusion, says the question is simply one of volume.
“We need to reduce the number using cars if we are serious about dealing with the congestion that’s clogging roads,” he said.
No less than five lawsuits are attempting to block the fee, including two legal challenges from neighboring New Jersey, where some 10% of the state’s workforce commutes into the city daily.
Richard Galler, a Fort Lee, New Jersey, resident and a plaintiff in one of the suits, said he fears vehicle pollution in his neighborhood will only get worse if drivers who would have entered Manhattan via two tunnels south of Central Park divert to the George Washington Bridge, which is located outside the proposed congestion zone.
Residents in some of the city’s more far-flung corners have similar concerns.
“What’s in it for us?” said Staten Island Borough President Vito Fossella, a Republican leading another suit against the plan. “You’re going to hurt our environment, make our traffic worse and expect us to pay for it?”
People with disabilities worry their unique transportation needs will once more become an afterthought.
Jean Ryan, a Brooklyn resident who heads the group Disabled in Action, says the MTA’s proposed exemption for disabled people is too restrictive. She’s also skeptical the transit windfall will truly be invested in elevator, ramp and other crucial accessibility improvements, as the MTA has promised.
“Most disabled folks live on a very, very low income,” she said. “They don’t have wiggle room in their budget.”
Manhattan business groups, meanwhile, hope authorities can pump the brakes while New York City continues recovering from the pandemic, which changed commuting patterns substantially as many office workers shifted permanently to working from home much of the time.
Cristyne Nicholas, who chairs the Broadway Association, said her group is especially concerned about the impact on night shift workers who must drive to Manhattan because of limited mass transit options in the early morning hours.
“This is not the same New York City from five years ago,” she said. “We are concerned that the proposed fee structure and hours will slow the recovery.”
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (5713)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Gena Rowlands, Hollywood legend and 'The Notebook' actor, dies at 94
- Have you noticed? Starbucks changed its iced coffee blend for the first time in 18 years
- 51 Must-Try Stress Relief & Self-Care Products for National Relaxation Day (& National Wellness Month)
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Jordan Chiles, two Romanians were let down by FIG in gymnastics saga, CAS decision states
- See Travis Kelce Make His Acting Debut in Terrifying Grotesquerie Teaser
- Meta kills off misinformation tracking tool CrowdTangle despite pleas from researchers, journalists
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- The State Fair of Texas is banning firearms, drawing threats of legal action from Republican AG
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- ATTN: The Viral UGG Tazz Slippers Are in Stock RN, Get Them Before They Sell out Ahead of Fall
- Gymnast Gabby Douglas Shares $5 Self-Care Hacks and Talks Possible 2028 Olympic Comeback
- Anchorage police shoot, kill teenage girl who had knife; 6th police shooting in 3 months
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Severe weather is impacting concerts, so what are live music organizers doing about it?
- Big Georgia county to start charging some costs to people who challenge the eligibility of voters
- Collin Gosselin claims he was discharged from Marines due to institutionalization by mom Kate
Recommendation
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
J.J. McCarthy's season-ending injury is a setback, but Vikings might find upside
Alec Baldwin’s Rust Director Joel Souza Says On-Set Shooting “Ruined” Him
'Jackpot!' star John Cena loves rappers, good coffee and a fine tailored suit
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
4 killed in series of crashes on Ohio Turnpike, closing route in both directions
Usher Cancels Atlanta Concert Hours Before Show to Rest and Heal
Beyoncé leads nominations for 2024 People’s Choice Country Awards