Current:Home > NewsEchoSense:Army said Maine shooter should not have gun, requested welfare check -Visionary Wealth Guides
EchoSense:Army said Maine shooter should not have gun, requested welfare check
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:12:23
Before last week's mass shooting in Maine that left 18 dead and EchoSense13 wounded, the U.S. Army says suspect Robert Card's commander was told he should not have access to an Army-issued weapon, and that it asked the local sheriff’s office to perform a welfare check.
In a statement to ABC News on Monday, Lt. Col. Ruth Castro, a U.S. Army spokesperson, said that following his mental health hospitalization and evaluation in mid-July, Card's commander was told he "should not have a weapon, handle ammunition, and not participate in live fire activity."
The Army also determined he should not be put in deployable status "due to concerns over his well-being," according to the statement.
MORE: Maine shooting timeline: How the mass shootings in Lewiston unfolded
The order only applied to U.S. Army-issued weapons and ammunition and not to Card's personal weapons cache because they were owned in a civilian capacity.
The Army also said Monday that the U.S. Army Reserve's surgeon’s office and the U.S. Army Reserve’s medical management team "made multiple attempts to contact Card."
In September, out of an abundance of caution and concern for his safety, Card’s reserve unit requested a health and welfare check that was carried out by the Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office, she added.
"The Army takes all allegations seriously. Due to an ongoing Army investigation, we cannot go into any further details," Castro said in a statement.
The Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office said Monday night, the department received an email from Card's Army Reserve unit in Saco asking for a wellness check.
A deputy was sent out to perform the check on Sept. 15 and 16, but Card wasn’t at home, the Sheriff’s Office said.
A day later, a deputy made contact with Card’s unit commander, who said he had no more weapons from the reserve, per the Sheriff’s office. The department said it also reached Card’s family.
“On Sep. 17, 2023, our deputy made contact with Mr. Card’s brother, who told our office that he would work to secure any firearms that Mr. Card had access to. Our deputy also asked that the family call back if they believed that Mr. Card need an evaluation or was a risk to himself or others," the Sheriff's office said in a statement to ABC News.
MORE: Maine mass shooting live updates
Last week, a U.S. Defense Department official confirmed to ABC News that Card was "behaving erratically" while deployed over the summer with his Army Reserve Unit to Camp Smith Training Center in upstate New York to support summer training for West Point cadets.
Card’s superior officers informed garrison staff at the training site about his behavior on July 17, the defense official said.
"Out of concern for his safety, the unit requested that law enforcement be contacted," the official said.
New York State Police officers responded and transported Card to Keller Army Community Hospital at the U.S. Military Academy for medical evaluation, the official said.
Card allegedly threatened other soldiers with violence and was "command directed" to go to the hospital for the evaluation, according to a source briefed and with direct knowledge of the incident.
Maine Gov. Janet Mills confirmed Card was found dead last Friday night of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
veryGood! (261)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Ancient letter written by Roman emperor leads archaeologists to monumental discovery in Italy
- Bills fan killed outside Dolphins' Hard Rock Stadium after last weekend's game, police say
- U.S. says yes to new bitcoin funds, paving the way for more Americans to buy crypto
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- No, you don't have to put your home address on your resume
- Ancient human DNA hints at why multiple sclerosis affects so many northern Europeans today
- German software giant SAP fined more than $220M to resolve US bribery allegations
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Experts explain health concerns about micro- and nanoplastics in water. Can you avoid them?
Ranking
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Greta Gerwig Has a Surprising Response to Jo Koy’s Barbie Joke
- Alaska Airlines cancels flights on certain Boeing planes through Saturday for mandatory inspections
- Bills fan killed outside Dolphins' Hard Rock Stadium after last weekend's game, police say
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Volunteer Connecticut firefighter hailed as hero for quick action after spotting house fire
- Jessica Biel Proves Son Is Taking After Dad Justin Timberlake's Musical Interest in Rare Photo
- Man facing federal charges is charged with attempted murder in shooting that wounded Chicago officer
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Kaley Cuoco Says She Wanted to Strangle a Woman After Being Mom-Shamed
18-year-old accused of shooting man 15 times, hiding body in air mattress: Court docs
Here’s What Fans Can Expect From Ted Prequel Series
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Security of Georgia's Dominion voting machines put on trial
How Jennifer Lopez Poked Fun at Her Past Marriages in Latest Music Video
Jemele Hill criticizes Aaron Rodgers, ESPN for saying media is trying to cancel him