Current:Home > NewsIsrael has told White House that IDF troops will have "rest and refit," NSC's John Kirby says -Visionary Wealth Guides
Israel has told White House that IDF troops will have "rest and refit," NSC's John Kirby says
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 15:39:43
Washington — John Kirby, the White House National Security Council coordinator for strategic communications, said Sunday that Israel has indicated to the Biden administration that the surprise move to pull troops out of southern Gaza is largely for "rest and refit."
Israel's military said Sunday it now has just one division in the Gaza Strip, after the other left in the last day. A spokesperson called the move an evolution of the war, rather than a partial withdrawal. But the thinking behind the move hasn't been made entirely clear.
- Transcript: John Kirby, National Security Council spokesperson, on "Face the Nation," April 7, 2024
"The indications that we've been getting from them this morning is this is really largely rest and refit for troops that have been on the ground consecutively now for four months and they need a chance to come, to come out now," Kirby said on "Face the Nation" on Sunday. "What they'll do with those troops after a rest and refit I can't speak to."
Noting that he can't speak for the operations of a sovereign military, Kirby stressed that the administration has been clear with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that it does not support a ground operation in Rafah, a heavily populated area in southern Gaza, saying that there are alternative options to go after Hamas. He noted that the administration met virtually with Israeli officials last week and expects an in-person meeting "in the next week or so" where they hope to discuss the alternatives.
The developments come amid ongoing conflict between the Israel Defense Forces and Lebanon's militant Hezbollah group. In a statement on Sunday, the IDF said it had completed another phase in preparation for further conflict along its northern border with Lebanon.
"Over the past few days, another phase of the Northern Command's readiness for war was completed, centering on operational emergency storages for a broad mobilization of IDF troops when required ... and their arrival at the front line in a short time with all the equipment for combat," the IDF said in a statement on Telegram.
Israel's Defense Minister Yoav Gallant said Sunday that Israeli troops pulled out of Khan Yunis in southern Gaza Sunday "to prepare for future missions, including... in Rafah," according to AFP. The forces were withdrawn after months of fierce fighting because "Hamas ceased to exist as a military framework" in Khan Yunis, just north of Rafah, where more than 1.5 million Palestinians are sheltering.
The Israeli government has been under intense criticism in recent days after seven humanitarian workers were killed in Gaza.
Kirby reiterated on Sunday that so far, the U.S. has not "seen any indication" that Israel has "violated international humanitarian law," but he noted that the State Department will "keep looking at this."
In the aftermath of the strike last week that killed seven World Central Kitchen aid workers, Kirby said "there have been too many aid workers killed by Israeli operations" and he added that's why the president "was so firm" with Netanyahu during a call afterward. Kirby reiterated that Israel must make "sustained changes in the way they're operating on the ground and the way they are allowing humanitarian assistance to get in" to Gaza. After Netanyahu's call with Mr. Biden last week, the Israeli government approved the opening of three humanitarian aid corridors that were specifically requested by the president.
The Israeli military said Friday that they had fired two officers and reprimanded three others for their roles in the strike.
Still, some members of the president's own party have said that he must hold Israel's government more accountable amid a massive civilian death toll in Gaza. Sen. Chris Van Hollen, a Maryland Democrat who also appeared on "Face the Nation" on Sunday said that while he was "glad" to see the president's requests of Netanyahu, the White House must outline the "consequences" should Israel disregard them in the future.
- Transcript: Sen. Chris Van Hollen on "Face the Nation," April 7, 2024
"We have to make sure that when the President requests something that we have a means to enforce it," he said.
- In:
- War
- Hamas
- Israel
- Genocide
- Gaza Strip
- War Crimes
- Middle East
- Benjamin Netanyahu
Kaia Hubbard is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital based in Washington, D.C.
TwitterveryGood! (27)
Related
- Sam Taylor
- Yosemite National Park shuts down amid massive winter storm: 'Leave as soon as possible'
- Texas Panhandle ranchers face losses and grim task of removing dead cattle killed by wildfires
- Gaza doctor says gunfire accounted for 80% of the wounds at his hospital from aid convoy bloodshed
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Fanatics founder Michael Rubin says company unfairly blamed for controversial new MLB uniforms
- Not your typical tight end? Brock Bowers' NFL draft stock could hinge on value question
- The Smokehouse Creek Fire in the Texas Panhandle has already burned 1.1 million acres. Here are the largest wildfires in U.S. history.
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- U.S. measles cases rise to 41, as CDC tallies infections now in 16 states
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- US Department of Ed begins probe into gender-based harassment at Nex Benedict’s school district
- U.S. interest payments on its debt are set to exceed defense spending. Should we be worried?
- Kate Winslet's 'The Regime' is dictators gone wild. Sometimes it's funny.
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- A man fights expectations in 'I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together'
- Jennifer Dulos Case: Michelle Troconis Found Guilty of Conspiring to Murder
- Driver crashes SUV into Michigan Walmart, leaving multiple people injured
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
In Senegal’s capital, Nicaragua is a hot ticket among travel agents as migrants try to reach US
Viral article used AI to create photo of Disney World's Cinderella Castle on fire
Jury convicts first rioter to enter Capitol building during Jan. 6 attack
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
L.A. Dodgers superstar Shohei Ohtani announces that he's married
Wendy Williams' guardianship is the subject of a new documentary. Here's how it works
L.A. Dodgers superstar Shohei Ohtani announces that he's married