Current:Home > NewsBaltimore shipping channel fully reopens after bridge collapse -Visionary Wealth Guides
Baltimore shipping channel fully reopens after bridge collapse
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:49:26
BALTIMORE (AP) — The main shipping channel into Baltimore’s port has fully reopened to its original depth and width following the March 26 collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, which blocked most maritime traffic into the harbor.
Officials announced the full reopening in a news release Monday evening. It comes after a massive cleanup effort as crews removed an estimated 50,000 tons of steel and concrete from the Patapsco River.
The channel was blocked by wreckage of the fallen bridge, which collapsed after a container ship lost power and crashed into one of its supporting columns, sending six members of a roadwork crew plunging to their deaths. All of the victims were Latino immigrants working an overnight shift to fill potholes on the bridge.
The Port of Baltimore, which processes more cars and farm equipment than any other in the country, was effectively closed for several weeks while the wreckage was removed. Crews were able to reopen portions of the deep-draft channel in phases, restoring some commercial traffic in recent weeks.
On May 20, the wayward cargo ship Dali was refloated and guided back to port. The vessel had been stuck amid the wreckage for almost two months, with a massive steel truss draped across its damaged bow.
After the Dali was moved, crews opened a channel that was 50 feet (15 meters) deep and 400 feet (122 meters) wide. The full federal shipping channel is 700 feet (213 meters) wide, which means two-way traffic can resume, officials said. They said other additional safety requirements have also been lifted because of the increased width.
Thousands of longshoremen, truckers and small business owners have seen their jobs impacted by the collapse, prompting local and state officials to prioritize reopening the port and restoring its traffic to normal capacity in hopes of easing the economic ripple effects.
The announcement Monday means the commerce that depends on the busy port can begin ramping back up.
Officials said a total of 56 federal, state and local agencies participated in the salvage operations, including about 500 specialists from around the world who operated a fleet of 18 barges, 22 tugboats, 13 floating cranes, 10 excavators and four survey boats.
“I cannot overstate how proud I am of our team,” said Col. Estee Pinchasin, Baltimore district commander for the Army Corps of Engineers. “It was incredible seeing so many people from different parts of our government, from around our country and all over the world, come together in the Unified Command and accomplish so much in this amount of time.”
In a statement Monday, Pinchasin also acknowledged the loss of the victims’ families.
“Not a day went by that we didn’t think about all of them, and that kept us going,” she said.
The Dali lost power shortly after leaving Baltimore for Sri Lanka in the early hours of March 26. A National Transportation Safety Board investigation found it experienced power outages before starting its voyage, but the exact causes of the electrical issues have yet to be determined. The FBI is also conducting a criminal investigation into the circumstances leading up to the collapse.
Officials have said they hope to rebuild the bridge by 2028.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Maine governor declines to remove sheriff accused of wrongdoing
- Duke University graduates walk out ahead of Jerry Seinfeld's commencement address
- Dispute over transgender woman admitted to Wyoming sorority to be argued before appeal judges
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Michael Cohen to face bruising cross-examination by Trump’s lawyers
- Families suing over 2021 jet fuel leak into Navy drinking water in Hawaii seek $225K to $1.25M
- Bryan Olesen surprises with vulnerable Phil Collins cover on 'The Voice': 'We all loved it'
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Actor Steve Buscemi randomly assaulted in Manhattan, publicist says
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Kentucky governor to speak out against strict abortion ban in neighboring Tennessee
- Miss Teen USA 2023 Runner-Up Declines Title After Winner UmaSofia Srivastava Steps Down
- OpenAI launches GPTo, improving ChatGPT’s text, visual and audio capabilities
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- What is the safest laundry detergent? A guide to eco-friendly, non-toxic washing.
- Iowa county jail’s fees helped fund cotton candy and laser tag for department, lawsuit says
- No criminal charges in rare liquor probe at Oregon alcohol agency, state report says
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
What to know about Trump fixer-turned-foe Michael Cohen’s pivotal testimony in the hush money trial
Bronny James medically cleared by NBA’s Fitness to Play Panel, will attend draft combine
Attorney says settlement being considered in NCAA antitrust case could withstand future challenges
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
An Alabama Coal Company Sued for a Home Explosion That Killed a Man Is Delinquent on Dozens of Penalties, Records Show
Workers in Atlantic City casino smoking lawsuit decry ‘poisonous’ workplace; state stresses taxes
University of North Carolina to dump 'divisive' DEI, spend funds on public safety