Current:Home > InvestRepublican National Committee’s headquarters evacuated after vials of blood are addressed to Trump -Visionary Wealth Guides
Republican National Committee’s headquarters evacuated after vials of blood are addressed to Trump
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-05 23:27:28
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Republican National Committee’s Washington headquarters was briefly evacuated on Wednesday as police investigated two vials of blood that had been addressed to former President Donald Trump following the presumptive presidential nominee’s takeover of the national party apparatus.
Hazardous-materials teams were called in after the vials were discovered, according to the U.S. Capitol Police, who said they would continue to investigate. It was unclear if anyone came into contact with the blood and to whom it belonged.
The vials were addressed to Trump, according to a person familiar with the situation but not authorized to speak about it publicly. It was unclear if any message accompanied the vials explaining why they were sent.
Spokespeople for the RNC and the U.S. Secret Service did not immediately return messages seeking comment. The Metropolitan Police Department and the local fire department referred comment to the Capitol Police.
Earlier Wednesday, the Capitol Police issued a statement advising people to avoid the block where the RNC is located, a short walk southeast of the Capitol. The House sergeant at arms, the U.S. House of Representatives’ chief law enforcement and protocol officer, sent out information advising traffic restrictions in the area “due to law enforcement activity at the RNC.”
Trump’s handpicked leadership — including his daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, as the party’s national vice chair and former North Carolina GOP Chairman Michael Whatley as RNC chairman — recently took over the RNC, completing his takeover of the national party as he closes in on a third straight GOP presidential nomination. A Trump campaign senior adviser, Chris LaCivita, has taken over as the RNC chief of staff.
Wednesday’s situation comes less than two months from the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee, where Trump is slated to become the party’s official 2024 nominee and significant protests are expected. According to a letter sent last month to the Secret Service, RNC counsel Todd Steggerda asked officials to keep protesters back farther from the site than had been originally planned, arguing that an existing plan “creates an elevated and untenable safety risk to the attending public.”
___
Kinnard reported from Columbia, S.C., and Price reported from New York. AP writers Ashraf Khalil and Alanna Durkin Richer in Washington contributed reporting.
veryGood! (8122)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- What if I owe taxes but I'm unemployed? Tips for filers who recently lost a job
- Every Browns starting quarterback since their NFL return in 1999
- Russian presidential hopeful calling for peace in Ukraine meets with soldiers’ wives
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- New England Patriots Coach Bill Belichick Leaving Team After 24 Seasons
- Alabama's challenge after Nick Saban: Replacing legendary college football coach isn't easy
- Jennifer Lawrence recalls 'stressful' wedding, asking Robert De Niro to 'go home'
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Lisa Marie Presley posthumous memoir announced, book completed by daughter Riley Keough
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- 'Baldur's Gate 3' is the game of the year, and game of the Moment
- Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers announces return to Longhorns amid interest in NFL draft
- Recalled charcuterie meats from Sam's Club investigated for links to salmonella outbreak in 14 states
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Isabella Strahan Receives Support From Twin Sister Sophia Amid Brain Cancer Diagnosis
- Summer House Trailer: See the Dramatic Moment Carl Radke Called Off Engagement to Lindsay Hubbard
- President Joe Biden’s record age, 81, is an ‘asset,’ first lady Jill Biden says
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Isabella Strahan Receives Support From Twin Sister Sophia Amid Brain Cancer Diagnosis
Michigan basketball's leading scorer Dug McDaniel suspended for road games indefinitely
US applications for jobless benefits fall to lowest level in 12 weeks
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Calm down, don't panic: Woman buried in deadly Palisades avalanche describes her rescue
Poland’s opposition, frustrated over loss of power, calls protest against new pro-EU government
Summer House Trailer: See the Dramatic Moment Carl Radke Called Off Engagement to Lindsay Hubbard