Current:Home > ScamsISIS stadium threat puts UEFA Champions League soccer teams on alert for quarterfinals -Visionary Wealth Guides
ISIS stadium threat puts UEFA Champions League soccer teams on alert for quarterfinals
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:22:47
London — Anonymous online supporters of the Islamic terror group ISIS have issued a threat to soccer stadiums across Europe ahead of major games in the quarterfinals of the UEFA Champions League — European soccer's biggest club competition.
A post disseminated this week by the pro-ISIS online media outlet Al Azaim Foundation showed graphic imagery of a gunman in a balaclava, with the message, "Kill them all," in large text. The post lists London's Emirates Stadium, Paris's Parc de Prince (sic), and Madrid's Santiago Bernabéu as targets.
All three stadiums are set to host major Champions League games, with tens of thousands of fans in attendance.
There were no related threats conveyed via any of the official social media accounts run by or known to be linked to ISIS.
UEFA, the body that runs the Champions League competition, said in a statement sent to CBS News on Tuesday that it was "aware of alleged terrorist threats made towards this week's UEFA Champions League matches and is closely liaising with the authorities at the respective venues."
"All matches are planned to go ahead as scheduled with appropriate security arrangements in place," the statement said.
Richard Barnes, a counterterrorism adviser who leads stadium security for London's Metropolitan Police, confirmed that the force was looking into the online threats ahead of the Champions League game between Arsenal and Bayern Munich at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday evening.
He told CBS News, however, that the online threats were "not a new tactic used by various terrorist groups to cause or raise alarm."
Barnes said the London police counterterrorism unit was "investigating this and they will also be engaging with internal and external partners and stakeholders to ensure this evening's fixture at Emirates Stadium is not affected."
French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said security would be "considerably reinforced" around Wednesday's Champions League game between Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona, in the French capital, in response to the threat, according to the AFP news agency.
The threats and heightened security measures come just weeks after the bloody attack on the Russian capital's Crocus City Hall, which saw gunmen storm the concert venue before setting it on fire.
- Moscow attack fuels concern over ISIS risk from Taliban's Afghanistan
A previously unheard-of ISIS Russia branch claimed responsibility for the attack, which left almost 200 people dead.
It also comes just days after an 18-year-old man from Idaho was arrested and accused of plotting to kill churchgoers in his town in the name of ISIS, according to court documents unsealed earlier this week.
ISIS has a history of bloody attacks on European soil, including the devastating, well-orchestrated assault on multiple locations around Paris in 2015. France's national soccer stadium, just north of Paris, was the only location outside the capital city that was attacked by the ISIS militants during that siege. It is not the same venue that was mentioned in the post on the pro-ISIS website this week.
CBS News' Khaled Wassef contributed to this report.
- In:
- ISIS
- Terrorism
- Football
- ISIS-K
- UEFA Champions League
- European Union
- Soccer
veryGood! (4718)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- A win for the Harris-Walz ticket would also mean the country’s first Native American female governor
- Investigator says ‘fraudulent’ gift to Florida’s only public historically Black university is void
- COVID-stricken Noah Lyles collapses after getting bronze, one of 8 US medals at Olympic track
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Love Is the Big Winner in Paris: All the Athletes Who Got Engaged During the 2024 Olympics
- Georgia school chief says AP African American Studies can be taught after legal opinion
- 2024 Olympics: Runner Noah Lyles Says This Will Be the End of His Competing After COVID Diagnosis
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Case that could keep RFK Jr. off New York’s presidential ballot ends
Ranking
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- California governor vows to take away funding from cities and counties for not clearing encampments
- Serbian athlete dies in Texas CrossFit competition, reports say
- Homeowners race to refinance as mortgage rates retreat from 23-year highs
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- 2024 Olympics: Jordan Chiles’ Coach Slams Cheating Claims Amid Bronze Medal Controversy
- Huge California wildfire chews through timber in very hot and dry weather
- Tropical Storm Debby pounding North Carolina; death toll rises to 7: Live updates
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Consumers—and the Environment—Are Going to Pay for Problems With the Nation’s Largest Grid Region
'Trad wives' controversy continues: TikTok star Nara Smith reacts to 'hateful' criticism
Paris Olympics live updates: Noah Lyles takes 200m bronze; USA men's hoops rally for win
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
US women’s volleyball prevailed in a 5-set ‘dogfight’ vs. Brazil to play for Olympic gold
Why Gina Gershon Almost Broke Tom Cruise's Nose Filming Cocktail Sex Scene
Oregon city at heart of Supreme Court homelessness ruling votes to ban camping except in some areas