Current:Home > InvestPennsylvania high court takes up challenge to the state’s life-without-parole sentences -Visionary Wealth Guides
Pennsylvania high court takes up challenge to the state’s life-without-parole sentences
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:38:45
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Pennsylvania’s high court will consider whether some automatic life sentences for those convicted of murder violate constitutional protections for defendants, the justices said Friday.
The appeal being pursued by Derek Lee, convicted of a 2014 killing, argues the state’s life-without-parole law violates prohibitions in the Pennsylvania and U.S. constitutions against cruel punishment.
In the order accepting the appeal, the Supreme Court said it would focus on the constitutionality of the mandatory life sentence in Lee’s case, where he argues he “did not kill or intend to kill and therefore had categorically-diminished culpability.”
Pennsylvania law makes someone liable for murder if they participate in a felony that leads to death, and life with no possibility of parole is currently the state’s only possible sentence for those convicted of second-degree murder.
Advocates say there are about 5,200 people in Pennsylvania currently serving what they call “death by incarceration” sentences, the highest per capita rate among states. The policy affects Black men disproportionately, as about 70% of those serving life-without-parole in Pennsylvania are Black.
Quinn Cozzens, a lawyer for Lee with the Abolitionist Law Center, said he believes if the high court sides with Lee, that could apply to all others convicted of second-degree murder.
“The only issue that we’re appealing from trial is the sentence itself, so not the conviction,” Cozzens said. “So even on the theory that the state’s proved its case entirely and everything’s entirely true, that sentence is still excessive and doesn’t reflect the culpability of somebody convicted of felony murder.”
Kelly Callihan, executive director of the Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association, said the case will be reviewed by the association’s appeals committee to determine next steps.
A summary of the facts of the October 2014 killing written by the Allegheny County trial judge said Lee and another man, both armed and with their faces partially concealed, forced the home’s two adult residents to kneel while they yelled at victim Leonard Butler to give them money. One assailant used a stun gun.
One of them pistol-whipped the 44-year-old Butler in the face, took his watch and ran up the stairs, the judge said.
“The second male remained with the couple and when Butler began to struggle with him over the gun, a shot was fired killing Butler,” the judge wrote.
Investigators linked Lee to the crime because a rental vehicle in his name had been parked outside around the time of the killing, and because the other adult resident of the home identified him out of a photo lineup, saying Lee was not the shooter, the judge recounted.
Lee and codefendant Paul Durham were both convicted by a jury of second-degree murder, robbery and conspiracy.
In a June ruling, the Pennsylvania Superior Court cited decisions in previous, similar appeals as it turned down Lee’s claim that life-without-parole violates his constitutional rights.
But in a concurring opinion, Superior Court Judge Alice Beck Dubow urged the higher court to revisit the matter “in light of changes in related case law from other states and research and policy concerns regarding the criminal justice system.”
.
veryGood! (12)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Orioles DFA nine-time All-Star closer Craig Kimbrel right before MLB playoffs
- 'Survivor' Season 47: Who went home first? See who was voted out in the premiere episode
- ESPN insider Adrian Wojnarowski retires from journalism, joins St. Bonaventure basketball
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Pharrell Williams slammed as 'out of touch' after saying he doesn't 'do politics'
- The viral $2.99 Trader Joe's mini tote bags are back for a limited time
- This $9 Primer & Mascara Have People Asking If I’m Wearing Fake Lashes
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Lawsuits buffet US offshore wind projects, seeking to end or delay them
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- ESPN insider Adrian Wojnarowski retires from journalism, joins St. Bonaventure basketball
- California’s cap on health care costs is the nation’s strongest. But will patients notice?
- Almost 2,000 pounds of wiener products recalled for mislabeling and undeclared allergens
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Elle King Reveals She and Dan Tooker Are Back Together One Year After Breakup
- A 12-year-old boy fatally shoots a black bear mauling his father during a hunt in western Wisconsin
- Eric Roberts Says Addiction Battle Led to Him Losing Daughter Emma Roberts
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Why Sean Diddy Combs No Longer Has to Pay $100 Million in Sexual Assault Case
60-year-old woman receives third-degree burns while walking off-trail at Yellowstone
Found: The Best Free People Deals Under $50, Featuring Savings Up to 92% Off & Styles Starting at Just $6
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Grey’s Anatomy's Season 21 Trailer Proves 2 Characters Will Make Their Return
The Smoky Mountains’ highest peak is reverting to the Cherokee name Kuwohi
Weekly applications for US jobless benefits fall to the lowest level in 4 months