Current:Home > ContactSignalHub-New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez on testifying at his bribery trial: "That's to be determined" -Visionary Wealth Guides
SignalHub-New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez on testifying at his bribery trial: "That's to be determined"
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:03:17
Washington — Sen. Bob Menendez was at work in the U.S. Capitol on SignalHubThursday, but in four days he'll be in a Manhattan courtroom as a criminal defendant fighting federal corruption charges that involve the governments of Egypt and Qatar.
The New Jersey Democrat told CBS News he plans to be at his trial every day "subject to the schedule." When asked whether he would take the stand, Menendez said, "that's to be determined."
Sen. Bob Menendez (D-NJ) told CBS News' @NikolenDC that he's ready for his federal corruption trial next week involving an alleged bribery scheme. When asked about his case and recent bribery charges against a fellow Democrat, Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas, Menendez said:… pic.twitter.com/o0RRwNKMLU
— CBS News (@CBSNews) May 9, 2024
The Senate is scheduled to be in session for most of the next month, except for the week of Memorial Day.
Menendez has maintained his innocence since he was initially indicted in September on corruption and bribery charges along with his wife, Nadine Menendez, and three New Jersey businessmen. Since then, prosecutors expanded the charges to include obstruction of justice and conspiring to act as a foreign agent, alleging that Menendez, his wife and one of the three New Jersey businessmen used the senator's position to benefit the government of Egypt. Federal law prohibits Menendez, a public official, from serving as a foreign agent.
Menendez faces 16 criminal counts, while his wife, who will be tried separately due to health issues, faces 15.
The senator recently indicated he might incriminate his wife when he heads to trial Monday alongside two of the New Jersey businessmen, Wael Hana and Fred Daibes. The three, along with Nadine Menendez, have all pleaded not guilty.
The third indicted business associate, Jose Uribe, pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors earlier this year.
The Menendezes are accused of accepting lavish gifts, including nearly half a million dollars in cash, more than a dozen gold bars, a Mercedes-Benz convertible and home mortgage payments, from the businessmen who allegedly sought to use the senator's power to benefit their businesses, Egypt and Qatar and to disrupt criminal prosecutions. Menendez and his wife then sought to cover up the bribes by writing checks to the businessmen that were characterized as payments for loans, according to prosecutors.
Menendez has defended his cash stockpile as an "old-fashioned" habit that had roots in his family's experience in Cuba. Lawyers for Menendez said in a recent court filing that they want a psychiatrist to testify about "two significant traumatic events" in the senator's life that led to the "coping mechanism of routinely withdrawing and storing cash in his home" — his family having funds confiscated by the Cuban government and his father's suicide. Prosecutors have objected to the proposed testimony.
Menendez has refused demands, including from his Democratic colleagues, to resign since he was indicted.
"Everybody's innocent until proven guilty," Menendez said Thursday when asked whether he was being treated differently than Democratic Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas, who was indicted last week with his wife on federal bribery charges. "That's my view. For Congressman Cuellar, that's the same. How people react to it is their position."
- In:
- Bob Menendez
Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter at cbsnews.com and is based in Washington, D.C. She previously worked for the Washington Examiner and The Hill, and was a member of the 2022 Paul Miller Washington Reporting Fellowship with the National Press Foundation.
TwitterveryGood! (13)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Mom who went viral exploring a cemetery for baby name inspo explains why she did it
- George Floyd's brother says he still has nightmares about his 2020 murder
- More than 100 feared dead in massive landslide in Papua New Guinea
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- NCAA lawsuit settlement agreement allowing revenue sharing with athletes faces unresolved questions
- Walmart digital coupons: Get promo codes from USA TODAY's coupons page to save money
- Pacers guard Tyrese Haliburton to miss Game 3 vs. Celtics with hamstring injury
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- 5 killed in attack at Acapulco grocery store just days after 10 other bodies found in Mexican resort city
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Star Kyle Richards Has Been Using This Lip Gloss for 15 Years
- Baltimore police fatally shoot a man who pulls gun during questioning; detective injured
- Fever coach, players try to block out social media hate: 'It's really sad, isn't it?'
- Average rate on 30
- California teenager arrested after violent swarm pounded and kicked a deputy’s car
- Republican-appointed University of Wisconsin regent refuses to step down when term ends
- Will Pacers' Tyrese Haliburton, Celtics' Kristaps Porzingis play in Game 3 of East finals?
Recommendation
Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
Families of Uvalde shooting victims sue Meta, video game company and gun manufacturer
Top assassin for Sinaloa drug cartel extradited to US to face charges, Justice Department says
Judge declines to dismiss Alec Baldwin's involuntary manslaughter in fatal 'Rust' shooting
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Here Are The Best Deals From Wayfair's Memorial Day Sale 2024: Up to 83% Off Furniture, Appliances & More
Drowning is a top cause of death for young children. Here's what parents should know.
Utah man declined $100K offer to travel to Congo on ‘security job’ that was covert coup attempt