Current:Home > StocksBomb and death threats prompt major Muslim group to move annual banquet -Visionary Wealth Guides
Bomb and death threats prompt major Muslim group to move annual banquet
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:27:05
Arlington, Va. — A national Muslim civil rights group said Thursday it is moving its annual banquet out of a Virginia hotel that received bomb and death threats possibly linked to the group's concern for Palestinians caught in the Israel-Hamas war.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR, canceled plans to hold its 29th annual banquet on Saturday at the Marriott Crystal Gateway in Arlington, just across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. The group, which has used the hotel for a decade, will imove the banquet to an undisclosed location with heightened security, the group's statement said.
"In recent days, according to the Marriott, anonymous callers have threatened to plant bombs in the hotel's parking garage, kill specific hotel staff in their homes, and storm the hotel in a repeat of the Jan. 6th attack on the U.S. Capitol if the events moved forward," the statement said.
Arlington police said in an email that the department was investigating a Thursday morning report from the hotel that it received anonymous phone calls, "some referencing threats to bomb," regarding the CAIR event.
Emails seeking comment from the FBI, which CAIR said also is investigating, and the Marriott hotel chain were not immediately answered late Thursday night.
A separate banquet planned for Oct. 28 in Maryland also was cancelled and will be merged with Saturday's event, CAIR said.
The threats came after CAIR updated banquet programming to focus on human rights issues for Palestinians. The group has started an online campaign urging members of Congress to promote a ceasefire in Gaza.
"We strongly condemn the extreme and disgusting threats against our organization, the Marriott hotel and its staff," CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad, who is Palestinian American, said in a statement. "We will not allow the threats of anti-Palestinian racists and anti-Muslim bigots who seek to dehumanize the Palestinian people and silence American Muslims to stop us from pursuing justice for all."
Hamas militants from the blockaded Gaza Strip stormed into nearby Israeli towns on Oct. 7, which coincided with a major Jewish holiday. The attack killed hundreds of civilians. Since then, Israel has launched airstrikes on Gaza, destroying entire neighborhoods and killing hundreds of Palestinian civilians.
There have been concerns the war will inspire violence in the U.S. Last week, police in major cities increased patrols, authorities put up fencing around the U.S. Capitol and some schools closed. Law enforcement officials stressed there were no credible threats in the U.S.
But FBI Director Christopher Wray and FBI officials said Sunday in a rare phone briefing for reporters that threats in the U.S. have been rising since Hamas invaded Israel.
"The threat is very much ongoing and in fact, the threat picture continues to evolve," Wray said. "Here in the U.S., we cannot and do not discount the possibility that Hamas or other foreign terrorist organizations could exploit the conflict to call on their supporters to conduct attacks on our own soil."
He said Jews and Muslims alike, as well as their institutions and houses of worship, have been threatened in the U.S. and told reporters that the bureau is "moving quickly to mitigate" the threats.
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
veryGood! (8217)
Related
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Kevin McCarthy has been ousted as speaker of the House. Here's what happens next.
- Is Rob McElhenney copying Ryan Reynolds? 'Always Sunny' stars launch new whiskey
- Indian police arrest editor, administrator of independent news site after conducting raids
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- NYC student sentenced to 1 year in Dubai prison over airport altercation, group says
- Greek police arrest 2 in connection with gangland car ambush that left 6 Turks dead
- Washington National Cathedral unveils new stained glass windows with racial justice theme
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- DOJ says Veterans Affairs police officer struck man with baton 45 times at medical center
Ranking
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Philippine boats breach a Chinese coast guard blockade in a faceoff near a disputed shoal
- Kevin McCarthy won't run for speaker again
- Is your relationship 'toxic' or is your partner just human? How to tell.
- Trump's 'stop
- Tracking the challenges facing Ukrainian grain, all the way from farm to table
- Trio wins Nobel Prize in chemistry for work on quantum dots, used in electronics and medical imaging
- Serbia releases from custody a Kosovo Serb leader suspected of a role in ambush of Kosovo policemen
Recommendation
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Homeless 25-year-old Topeka man arrested in rape and killing of 5-year-old girl
The 'American Dream' has always been elusive. Is it still worth fighting for?
Florida State to add women's lacrosse team after USA TODAY investigation
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
A Florida gator lost her complete upper jaw and likely would've died. Now, she's thriving with the name Jawlene
US appeals court to hear arguments over 2010 hush-money settlement of Ronaldo rape case in Vegas
FDA authorizes Novavax's updated COVID vaccine for fall 2023