Current:Home > MarketsJudge agrees to reveal backers of George Santos' $500,000 bond, but keeps names hidden for now -Visionary Wealth Guides
Judge agrees to reveal backers of George Santos' $500,000 bond, but keeps names hidden for now
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:34:54
Washington — A federal judge in New York has granted a request from media organizations to make public the identities of three people who signed the bond for Rep. George Santos' release after his indictment, but said their names should remain hidden for now to allow Santos to appeal.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Anne Shields said Tuesday that she granted an order to unseal the identities of the guarantors of Santos' $500,000 bond. However, she directed the clerk of the court to keep her decision and the bond under seal, giving Santos until noon Friday to challenge her ruling.
Defense attorneys for Santos, a Republican from New York, filed a motion under a court-imposed deadline Monday night arguing the court should keep the records under wraps. His defense said the three people who helped provide Santos' bond would be "likely to suffer great distress, may lose their jobs, and God forbid, may suffer physical injury" if their identities were made public.
"There is little doubt that the suretors will suffer some unnecessary form of retaliation if their identities and employment are revealed," Santos' filing said. It closed by saying that Santos "would rather surrender to pretrial detainment than subject these suretors to what will inevitably come."
Court filings show that the House Ethics Committee, which is investigating Santos, has also requested the identities of the individuals who helped him make bond. Santos' legal team has not provided the records of who helped assure his bond to the Ethics Committee.
Shields released Santos on May 10 on $500,000 bond, after Santos was indicted on 13 federal criminal counts, including fraud. Court filings said three people helped Santos secure the bond, but their identities have remained under seal. The judge ordered Santos to respond to requests to reveal the identities of the three individuals last week, but his defense attorneys requested and received a delay to do so until Monday. The judge's order specified that there would be "no further extensions of time" for Santos to respond.
A consortium of media organizations filed a motion last month seeking the unsealing of the records, citing First Amendment and common law rights of access to the information.
"The public's interest in this matter cannot be overstated," the motion said. "A United States Congressman stands accused of perpetuating financial fraud in connection with his election to the House of Representatives."
"Rep. Santos is charged with defrauding members of the public while campaigning for office," the consortium's filing said. "The alleged criminal conduct fundamentally challenges the integrity of our democratic institutions. And the decision to keep the identities of the sureties hidden from public view only exacerbates those challenges."
Santos has pleaded not guilty to the federal indictment and is scheduled to return to court on June 30. The 13-count indictment returned by a federal grand jury on May 9 includes seven counts of wire fraud, three counts of money laundering, two counts of making materially false statements to the House of Representatives and one count of theft of public funds.
If convicted, Santos faces up to 20 years in prison for the most serious charges.
In their argument seeking the release of the records showing who helped secure Santos' bond, the media organizations said the case has unique interest to the public.
"Rep. Santos purportedly engaged in a fraudulent political contribution solicitation scheme. He allegedly defrauded political donors, using their campaign contributions for his own personal expenses," the consortium argues. "Second, Rep. Santos is alleged to have fraudulently claimed unemployment. Third, Rep. Santos purportedly made false financial disclosures to Congress in connection with two separate campaigns."
In a court filing last week, the Department of Justice said the government "continues to take no position on the public disclosure of the sureties names and thus takes no position as to the pending motions."
Santos has publicly maintained his innocence in the criminal case. He declined to answer when asked by CBS News last month if he was considering a plea agreement in the federal criminal case.
He is also the subject of a House Ethics Committee review and a Federal Elections Commission review.
- In:
- George Santos
veryGood! (37734)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Here's how to turn off your ad blocker if you're having trouble streaming March Madness
- 2 brothers attacked by mountain lion in California 'driven by nature', family says
- Watch livestream: President Joe Biden gives remarks on collapse of Baltimore's Key Bridge
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Hold Tight to These Twilight Cast Reunion Photos, Spider Monkey
- MLB power rankings: Which team is on top for Opening Day 2024?
- 'Pops love you': Young father of 2 killed during fist fight at Louisiana bar
- Sam Taylor
- Sister Wives' Hunter Brown Shares How He Plans to Honor Late Brother Garrison
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Convicted sex offender who hacked jumbotron at the Jacksonville Jaguars’ stadium gets 220 years
- Brittany Mahomes Shares She's Struggling With Hives and Acne in New Makeup-Free Selfies
- Fast food workers are losing their jobs in California as new minimum wage law takes effect
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- MLB's five most pivotal players to watch for 2024
- Suspect's release before Chicago boy was fatally stabbed leads to prison board resignations
- Search for survivors in Baltimore bridge collapse called off as effort enters recovery phase
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Jason Dickinson scores twice as the Chicago Blackhawks beat the Calgary Flames 3-1
Orlando Magic center Jonathan Isaac defends decision to attend controversial summit
After a county restricted transgender women in sports, a roller derby league said, ‘No way’
2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
Is ghee healthier than butter? What a nutrition expert wants you to know
Princess Kate is getting 'preventive chemotherapy': Everything we know about it
Frantic text after Baltimore bridge collapse confirms crew OK: 'Yes sir, everyone is safe'