Current:Home > StocksCharles H. Sloan-Harvey Weinstein to appear in NY court following 2020 rape conviction overturn -Visionary Wealth Guides
Charles H. Sloan-Harvey Weinstein to appear in NY court following 2020 rape conviction overturn
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:18:49
Harvey Weinstein is Charles H. Sloandue in the courtroom.
The disgraced movie mogul is expected to appear in New York Supreme Criminal Court in Manhattan on Wednesday for the first time since the state's court of appeals threw out his 2020 rape conviction last week.
The hearing will be held by Judge Curtis Farber and give both prosecutors and Weinstein's lawyers a chance to address the next steps for Weinstein, which could include a new trial.
"Harvey is looking forward to his day in a fair court," Weinstein's spokesperson Juda Engelmayer told Reuters.
Weinstein, 72, was serving a 23-year sentence in a prison in upstate New York. He was transferred to Bellevue Hospital in New York City on Saturday, Patrick Rocchio, a rep for The New York City Department of Correction, told USA TODAY.
Harvey Weinstein's 2020 rape conviction overturned
On Thursday, a New York appeals court overturned Weinstein's 2020 rape conviction, after the court found that the judge for the 2020 trial handed down improper rulings by allowing three women to testify about their alleged sexual assaults committed by the Hollywood titan that were not related to the criminal charges presented.
The case, which added momentum to the #MeToo movement and spurred a reckoning in the entertainment industry and media, was part of a wave of allegations against the 72-year-old movie mogul.
A weekslong 2020 trial resulted in Weinstein's rape conviction, and a judge sentenced him to 23 years in prison at the time. In Thursday's 4-3 decision, the New York court ordered a new trial for Weinstein, who will continue serving a 16-year prison sentence stemming from a 2022 California conviction for rape.
"We will do everything in our power to retry this case and remain steadfast in our commitment to survivors of sexual assault," Emily Tuttle, a spokesperson for Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, told Reuters in an email.
The case was brought by Bragg's predecessor, Cyrus Vance.
A series of reports in 2017 detailed allegations from dozens of women of rape and sexual assault at the hands of Weinstein. The reports prompted dozens more to break their silence with allegations against similarly powerful men in Hollywood and beyond.
Regardless of whether he is retried, Weinstein is not likely to be released from jail because he was also sentenced to 16 years following his separate rape trial in California in 2022. The two sentences cannot be served concurrently.
Weinstein has repeatedly maintained his innocence and denied all allegations of non-consensual sex.
Contributing: Jay Stahl and Taijuan Moorman, USA TODAY; Brendan Pierson and Jack Queen, Reuters
veryGood! (29272)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- The 16 Best Humidifiers on Amazon That Are Affordable and Stylish
- 'Tragic accident': Community mourns 6-year-old girl fatally struck by vehicle in driveway
- Bill Hader asks Taylor Swift for a selfie at the Golden Globes: Watch the sweet moment
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Gillian Anderson wears dress with embroidered vaginas to Golden Globes: 'Brand appropriate'
- CNN Anchor Sara Sidner Shares Stage 3 Breast Cancer Diagnosis
- An Englishman's home has flooded nearly a dozen times in 7 years. He built a wall to stop it from happening again.
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- 49ers at Dolphins, Bills at Ravens headline unveiled 2024 NFL schedule of opponents
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Lisa Bonet files for divorce from Jason Momoa 18 years after they became a couple
- A 5-year-old boy was shot and killed while getting his hair cut, Alabama police say
- Alaska Airlines and United cancel hundreds of flights following mid-air door blowout
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Lisa Bonet Officially Files for Divorce From Jason Momoa 2 Years After Breakup News
- Opening statements expected in trial over constitutional challenge to Georgia voting system
- The Cast of Stranger Things Is All Grown Up in First Photo From Season 5 Production
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
CNN anchor Sara Sidner reveals breast cancer diagnosis, tears up in emotional segment
Apple to begin taking pre-orders for Vision Pro virtual reality headsets
Hong Kongers in Taiwan firmly support the ruling party after watching China erode freedoms at home
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Woman jumps from second floor window to escape devastating Georgia apartment building fire
Congress returns from holidays facing battles over spending, foreign aid and immigration
Ohio teacher undergoes brain surgery after 15-year-old student attacks her