Current:Home > ContactSignalHub-Clashes arise over the economic effects of Louisiana’s $3 billion-dollar coastal restoration project -Visionary Wealth Guides
SignalHub-Clashes arise over the economic effects of Louisiana’s $3 billion-dollar coastal restoration project
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:33:49
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Proponents of a nearly $3 billion project to restore part of southeast Louisiana’s rapidly vanishing coastline released a study Tuesday touting the expected economic benefits of its construction,SignalHub even as the project faces pushback and litigation from communities who fear the environment and their livelihoods will be severely affected.
The Mid-Barataria Sediment Diversion project broke ground in August last year. But construction was halted because of legal disputes, and since June the project has only partially resumed work.
The project is expected to spend around $1.6 billion inside the state over its five-year construction period, according to a new study funded by Restore the Mississippi River Delta, a coalition of environmental groups. During the building phase, the project expects to generate an average of 3,095 jobs across five parishes in Louisiana, mainly in construction and significantly higher-paying than average local wages, the study says.
“This project will bring more wetlands than any other individual restoration project in the world, and it will bring a whopping number of new earnings, jobs and revenue to coastal Louisiana,” said Simone Maloz, campaign director for Restore the Mississippi River Delta, at a Tuesday news conference announcing the study’s findings. “It is exactly the scale of the project we need to address the very serious challenge we face.”
The study estimates that for Plaquemines Parish, where the project is being built, the construction will lead to $308.2 million in total wage earnings, $65.4 million in tax revenue and an average of 540 jobs over a five-year period.
But Mitch Jurisich, a third-generation oysterman and parish council representative, was dismissive of the idea that the project would help more than hurt his community’s economy in the long term and described the study as “political propaganda.”
His oyster company is one of several plaintiffs, including an environmental group, suing to halt the project on the grounds it will alter water quality, endanger birds and sea life, and kill thousands of bottlenose dolphins in the Barataria basin
The project, which went through years of assessment before being approved, willdivert freshwater from the Mississippi River to bring sediment into the basin’s brackish and saltwater marshes.
The aim is to regenerate land in a state where the Gulf of Mexico eats the equivalent of a football field of land every 100 minutes as sea levels rise because of climate change, according to estimates from environmental groups.
Barataria and the neighboring Breton Basin have collectively lost an estimated 700 square miles of land. Leveeing of the Mississippi River is seen as one of the main forces that has disrupted the natural, restorative build-up of sediment. The diversion project is expected to add between 20 to 40 square miles of new land over the next five decades.
Jurisich, who is also chairman of the Louisiana Oyster Task Force, said he is concerned the project will irretrievably damage the oyster, fishing and tourism industries. His parish is home to 70 percent of all commercial landings for oyster, crab, finfish and shrimp. Statewide, the oyster industry alone earns around $317 million annually and provides nearly 4,000 direct jobs, according to the Oyster Task Force.
“The project is going to destroy our way of life,” Jurisich said. “What’s left? A skeleton of a local community which can’t support the local businesses because they can’t support themselves.”
The study did not analyze the economic benefits of the project once it begins operating. But it states that a total of $378 million has been set aside by the project to mitigate impacts on communities, including to construct bulkheads, elevate docks and homes and offer buyouts for residents seeking to relocate. Around $54 million within this budget has been earmarked for building new oyster beds and expanding old ones, along with gear improvements and marketing for the seafood industry.
While opponents of the project call for less-invasive responses to land loss in the basin such as rebuilding barrier islands, Maloz argues the project should be seen as part of a broader and necessary effort to address the scope of the state’s mounting land loss.
Louisiana’s Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority and Plaquemines Parish issued a joint statement in June saying they “are working toward a mutually acceptable path forward for the Mid-Barataria Sediment Diversion.”
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Lamar Jackson fires back at broadcaster's hot take about the Ravens
- Polish president defies new government in battle over control of state media
- 8 cozy games to check out on Nintendo Switch, from 'Palia' to 'No Man's Sky'
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Manchester United says British billionaire buys minority stake
- Hey, that gift was mine! Toddler opens entire family's Christmas gifts at 3 am
- Are They on Top? Checking In With the Winners of America's Next Top Model Now
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- She died weeks after fleeing the Maui wildfire. Her family fought to have her listed as a victim.
Ranking
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Taylor Swift called Travis Kelce's 'wife' by Tony Romo; singer comforts Brittany Mahomes
- Feds want to hunt one kind of owl to save another kind of owl. Here's why.
- Purdue still No. 1, while Florida Atlantic rises in USA TODAY Sports men's basketball poll
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Well-intentioned mental health courts can struggle to live up to their goals
- The year when the girl economy roared
- Kamar de Los Reyes, 'One Life to Live' soap star and husband to Sherri Saum, dead at 56
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
China sanctions a US research firm and 2 individuals over reports on human rights abuses in Xinjiang
Free People's After-Holiday Sale Is Too Good To Be True With Deals Starting at Just $24
The Indicators of this year and next
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Next year will be the best year to buy a new car since 2019, economist says
Florida State quarterback Tate Rodemaker won't play in Orange Bowl, but don't blame him
'Crown' star Dominic West explains his falling out with Prince Harry: 'I said too much'