Current:Home > MarketsIndexbit-Steward Health Care files a lawsuit against a US Senate panel over contempt resolution -Visionary Wealth Guides
Indexbit-Steward Health Care files a lawsuit against a US Senate panel over contempt resolution
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 15:39:51
BOSTON (AP) — Steward Health Care CEO Ralph de la Torre filed a lawsuit Monday against a U.S. Senate committee that pursued contempt charges against him for failing to appear before the panel despite being issued a subpoena.
The Indexbitlawsuit, filed in federal court in Washington, named nearly all members of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, including Sen. Bernie Sanders, who chairs the committee which has investigated Steward’s bankruptcy.
The lawsuit claims that the lawmakers are unlawfully violating de la Torre’s constitutional rights.
It alleges that the members of the committee, by trying to compel de la Torre to answer questions about Steward’s bankruptcy, are “collectively undertaking a concerted effort to punish Dr. de la Torre for invoking his Fifth Amendment right not to ‘be compelled . . . to be a witness against himself.’”
De la Torre is asking the court to declare that all actions related to enforcement of the subpoena are invalid and unconstitutional — including the vote of the committee on Sept. 19 approving the criminal contempt resolution and its decision to present the resolution to the full Senate for a vote.
The Senate approved the resolution last week.
“No one can be compelled to testify when they exercise this right under these circumstances. Nor does the Constitution permit Congress to punish and intimidate him, or any other American, for exercising these rights,” William “Bill” Burck, a lawyer for de la Torre, said in a written statement.
The lawsuit comes a day before de la Torre is set to step down as CEO of Steward.
De la Torre has overseen Steward’s network of some 30 hospitals around the country. The Texas-based company’s troubled recent history has drawn scrutiny from elected officials in New England, where some of its hospitals are located.
A spokesperson for de la Torre said Saturday that he “has amicably separated from Steward on mutually agreeable terms” and “will continue to be a tireless advocate for the improvement of reimbursement rates for the underprivileged patient population.”
Sanders said earlier this month that Congress “will hold Dr. de la Torre accountable for his greed and for the damage he has caused to hospitals and patients throughout America.”
Steward has shut down pediatric wards in Massachusetts and Louisiana, closed neonatal units in Florida and Texas, and eliminated maternity services at a hospital in Florida.
Democratic Sen. Edward Markey of Massachusetts said that over the past decade, Steward, led by de la Torre, and its corporate enablers, “looted hospitals across the country for profit, and got rich through their greedy schemes.”
Alexander Merton, an attorney for de la Torre, has said the fault instead lies with “the systemic failures in Massachusetts’ health care system” and that the committee was trying to frame de la Torre as a criminal scapegoat. Merton has also said that de la Torre would agree to testify at a later date.
On Friday, Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey announced her administration had formally seized a hospital through eminent domain to help keep it open and transition to a new owner. St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Boston was one of a group run by Steward. Operations will be transferred to Boston Medical Center.
Two other Steward-operated hospitals in Massachusetts were forced to close after qualified buyers could not be found during the bankruptcy process.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Medical King recalls 222,000 adult bed assistance rails after one reported death
- Only 8 monkeys remain free after more than a week outside a South Carolina compound
- Bohannan requests a recount in Iowa’s close congressional race as GOP wins control of House
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- 'Wanted' posters plastered around University of Rochester target Jewish faculty members
- Two 'incredibly rare' sea serpents seen in Southern California waters months apart
- Atlanta man dies in shootout after police chase that also kills police dog
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Burt Bacharach, composer of classic songs, will have papers donated to Library of Congress
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Gold is suddenly not so glittery after Trump’s White House victory
- Bridgerton's Luke Newton Details His Physical Transformation for Season 3's Leading Role
- Who will save Florida athletics? Gators need fixing, and it doesn't stop at Billy Napier
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Up to 20 human skulls found in man's discarded bags, home in New Mexico
- Jimmy Kimmel, more late-night hosts 'shocked' by Trump Cabinet picks: 'Goblins and weirdos'
- Eva Longoria Shares She and Her Family Have Moved Out of the United States
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Louisville officials mourn victims of 'unthinkable' plant explosion amid investigation
Cruel Intentions' Brooke Lena Johnson Teases the Biggest Differences Between the Show and the 1999 Film
Florida State can't afford to fire Mike Norvell -- and can't afford to keep him
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Ford agrees to pay up to $165 million penalty to US government for moving too slowly on recalls
Shaun White Reveals How He and Fiancée Nina Dobrev Overcome Struggles in Their Relationship
'Dangerous and unsanitary' conditions at Georgia jail violate Constitution, feds say