Current:Home > InvestPrince Harry wins 'widespread and habitual' phone hacking lawsuit against British tabloid -Visionary Wealth Guides
Prince Harry wins 'widespread and habitual' phone hacking lawsuit against British tabloid
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:04:51
LONDON — Prince Harry won his phone hacking lawsuit Friday against the publisher of the Daily Mirror and was awarded over 140,000 pounds ($180,000) in the first of his several lawsuits against British tabloids to go to trial.
Justice Timothy Fancourt in the High Court found phone hacking was “widespread and habitual” at Mirror Group Newspapers over many years and private investigators “were an integral part of the system” to gather information unlawfully. He said executives at the papers were aware of the practice and covered it up.
Fancourt said he awarded the Duke of Sussex damages for 15 of the 33 newspaper articles in question at trial that were the result of unlawful information gathering and resulted in the misuse of Harry’s private information.
“Today is a great day for truth, as well as accountability,” Harry said in a statement read by his lawyer outside court.
Fancourt awarded the duke damages for the distress he suffered and a further sum for aggravated damages to “reflect the particular hurt and sense of outrage” over the fact that two directors at Trinity Mirror knew about the activity and didn’t stop it.
“Instead of doing so, they turned a blind eye to what was going on and positively concealed it,” Fancourt said. “Had the illegal conduct been stopped, the misuse of the duke’s private information would have ended much sooner.”
Prince Harry leading crusade against British media
Harry, the estranged younger son of King Charles III, had sought 440,000 pounds ($560,000) as part of a crusade against the British media that bucked his family’s longstanding aversion to litigation and made him the first senior member of the royal family to testify in court in over a century.
His appearance in the witness box over two days in June created a spectacle as he lobbed allegations that Mirror Group Newspapers had employed journalists who eavesdropped on voicemails and hired private investigators to use deception and unlawful means to learn about him and other family members.
“I believe that phone hacking was at an industrial scale across at least three of the papers at the time,” Harry asserted in the High Court. “That is beyond any doubt.”
The judge said that Harry had a tendency in his testimony “to assume that everything published was the product of voicemail interception,” which was not the case. He said the Mirror Group was “not responsible for all of the unlawful activity directed at the duke.”
The case is the first of three lawsuits Harry has brought to court against the tabloids over allegations of phone hacking or some form of unlawful information gathering. They form the front line of attack in what he says is his life’s mission to reform the media.
Harry’s beef with the news media runs deep and is cited throughout his memoir, “Spare.” He blames paparazzi for causing the car crash that killed his mother, Princess Diana, and he said intrusions by journalists led him and his wife, Meghan, to leave royal life for the U.S. in 2020.
Prince Harry, Duchess Meghansay they were in 'near catastrophic' car chase with paparazzi
Harry alleged that Mirror Group Newspapers used unlawful means to produce nearly 150 stories on his early life between 1996 and 2010, including his romances, injuries and alleged drug use. The reporting caused great emotional distress, he said, but was hard to prove because the newspapers destroyed records.
Of the 33 articles at the center of the trial, Mirror denied using unlawful reporting methods for 28 and made no admissions concerning the remaining five.
The same judge that heard the Mirror case previously tossed out Harry’s hacking claims against the publisher of The Sun. He is allowing Harry and actor Hugh Grant, who has similar claims, to proceed to trial on allegations that News Group Newspapers journalists used other unlawful methods to snoop on them.
Another judge recently gave Harry the go-ahead to take a similar case to trial against the publisher of the Daily Mail, rejecting the newspaper’s efforts to throw out the lawsuit.
Phone hacking of royals, celebs a long-standing tactic of British media
Phone hacking by British newspapers dates back more than two decades to a time when unethical journalists used an unsophisticated method of phoning the numbers of royals, celebrities, politicians and sports stars and, when prompted to leave a message, punched in default passcodes to eavesdrop on voicemails.
Duchess Meghan, Prince Harry'sArchewell Foundation suffers $11M drop in donations
The practice erupted into a full-blown scandal in 2011 when Rupert Murdoch’s News of the World was revealed to have intercepted messages of a murdered girl, relatives of deceased British soldiers and victims of a bombing. Murdoch closed the paper.
Newspapers were later found to have used more intrusive means such as phone tapping, home bugging and obtaining flight information and medical records.
Mirror Group Newspapers said it has paid more than 100 million pounds ($128 million) in other phone hacking lawsuits over the years, but denied wrongdoing in Harry’s case. It said it used legitimate reporting methods to get information on the prince.
In one instance, Mirror Group apologized “unreservedly” for hiring a private investigator for a story about Harry partying at a nightclub in February 2004. Although the article, headlined “Sex on the beach with Harry,” wasn’t among those at issue in the trial, Mirror Group said he should be compensated 500 pounds ($637).
veryGood! (59)
Related
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Officer fatally shoots armed man on Indiana college campus after suspect doesn’t respond to commands
- USWNT vs. Australia live updates: USA lineup at Olympics, how to watch
- Golf Olympics schedule: When Nelly Korda, Scottie Scheffler tee off at Paris Games
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Criticism mounts against Venezuela’s Maduro and the electoral council that declared him a victor
- Haunting Secrets About The Blair Witch Project: Hungry Actors, Nauseous Audiences & Those Rocks
- MLB playoff rankings: Top eight World Series contenders after trade deadline
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Megan Thee Stallion set to appear at Kamala Harris Atlanta campaign rally
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Boar's Head recall expands to 7 million pounds of deli meat
- Mississippi man arrested on charges of threatening Jackson County judge
- Some Ohio residents can now get $25,000 for injuries in $600 million train derailment settlement
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Australian police officer recalls 2022 ambush by extremists in rural area that left 2 officers dead
- Harris Grabs Green New Deal Network Endorsement That Eluded Biden
- With the funeral behind them, family of the firefighter killed at the Trump rally begins grieving
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
The Bachelor's Hailey Merkt Dead at 31 After Cancer Battle
Jax Taylor Enters Treatment for Mental Health Struggles After Brittany Cartwright Breakup
Officer fatally shoots armed man on Indiana college campus after suspect doesn’t respond to commands
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
Trial to begin in lawsuit filed against accused attacker’s parents over Texas school shooting
A union for Amazon warehouse workers elects a new leader in wake of Teamsters affiliation
2 youth detention center escapees are captured in Maine, Massachusetts