Current:Home > MarketsItaly bans loans of works to Minneapolis museum in a dispute over ancient marble statue -Visionary Wealth Guides
Italy bans loans of works to Minneapolis museum in a dispute over ancient marble statue
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 16:34:05
Italy's Culture Ministry has banned loans of works to the Minneapolis Institute of Art, following a dispute with the U.S. museum over an ancient marble statue believed to have been looted from Italy almost a half-century ago.
The dispute began in March 2022 when an Italian court ruled that the Minneapolis museum was irregularly in possession of the Stabiae Doriforo, a Roman-era copy of The Doryphoros of Polykleitos, an ancient Greek sculpture.
Rome claims that the sculpture was looted in the 1970s from an archaeological site at Stabiae, an ancient city close to Pompeii that was also covered by lava and ashes when Mount Vesuvius erupted in A.D. 79.
Massimo Osanna, director general of national museums for Italy's Ministry of Culture, confirmed the ban in a statement given to WCCO on Thursday.
"The situation for us is very clear: the statue was excavated illegally in Italy and illegally left our territory," Osanna said. "Until the Doryphoros will be returned, there will be no further cooperation from our entire national museum system with the museum in Minneapolis."
In February 2022, Italian prosecutors issued an international warrant for the artwork to be impounded and returned. At a news conference earlier this year, Nunzio Fragliasso, chief prosecutor at the Torre Annunziata court, said they were "still awaiting a response."
In 1984, while the work was on display in a German museum, Italy initiated a legal proceeding to claim it. The claim was denied in 1986. The U.S. museum, which bought the statue in 1986 for $2.5 million, said it was purchased from art dealer Elie Borowski and imported into the United States.
"Since that time, the work has been publicly displayed and extensively published," the Minneapolis museum said in a statement. "While it takes issue with recent press reports regarding the Doryphoros, Mia (the museum) believes that the media is not an appropriate forum to address unproven allegations."
The museum asserted that it has always acted "responsibly and proactively" with respect to claims related to its collection. However, it added, "where proof has not been provided, as well as where Mia has evidence reasonably demonstrating that a claim is not supported, Mia has declined to transfer the work."
The museum called Italy's new ban on loans "contrary to decades of exchanges between museums."
The Minnesota Institute of Art originally opened its doors in 1915. The museum expanded in 1974 and 2006.
There are more than 89,000 objects held in the museum.
- In:
- Rome
- Italy
- Politics
- Entertainment
- Minneapolis
veryGood! (893)
Related
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Overworked and understaffed: Kaiser workers are on the brink of a nationwide strike
- 8 Jaw-Dropping Sales You Don't Want to Miss This Weekend: J.Crew Factory, Elemis, Kate Spade & More
- Stock market today: Asian shares mixed, with most regional markets closed after Wall St ticks higher
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- California man who shot two sheriff’s deputies in revenge attack convicted of attempted murder
- Oxford High School shooter will get life in prison, no parole, for killing 4 students, judge rules
- Judge acquits 2 Chicago police officers of charges stemming from shooting of unarmed man
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Best and worst performances after a memorable first month of the college football season
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- 25 years on, a look back at one of the most iconic photographs in hip-hop history
- Phillies star Bryce Harper tosses helmet in stands after being ejected by Angel Hernandez
- AP Week in Pictures: North America
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- StandBy mode turns your iPhone into a customizable display clock with iOS 17
- 3-year-old boy shot dead while in car with his mom
- 'Raise your wands:' Social media flooded with tributes to Dumbledore actor Michael Gambon
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
Norway joins EU nations in banning Russian-registered cars from entering its territory
Kosovo accuses Serbia of direct involvement in deadly clashes and investigates possible Russian role
Trump looks to set up a California primary win with a speech to Republican activists
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
Tropical Storm Philippe and Tropical Storm Rina could merge, National Hurricane Center says
Revisiting Lane Kiffin's infamous tarmac firing by USC at an airport, 10 years later
Woman pleads guilty to calling in hoax bomb threat at Boston Children’s Hospital