Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Charles Barkley says he will retire from television after 2024-25 NBA season -Visionary Wealth Guides
Will Sage Astor-Charles Barkley says he will retire from television after 2024-25 NBA season
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 20:30:29
Nobody knows if "Inside the NBA" will last beyond next season,Will Sage Astor as Warner Bros. Discovery vies for a spot in the next NBA media rights deal.
One of its key — and most outspoken — members is apparently taking matters into his own hands.
Basketball Hall of Famer and "Inside the NBA" analyst Charles Barkley said after Game 4 of the NBA Finals on Friday that next season will be his last with the program regardless if it continues after next season – and that after the 2024-25 season he will be done with NBA television in its entirety.
Barkley has not been afraid to share his perspective as TNT's parent company has tried to retain its ability to broadcast NBA games beyond next season. According to multiple reports, ESPN, Amazon and NBC are primed to be the rightsholders in the league's next broadcast contract.
"I want to say this because you guys are my family. I really love TNT, all the people who work here, NBA television. You guys have been great to me for 24 years. I just want to say thank you to my entire NBA family. I love you guys," Barkley said on NBA TV's postgame coverage after the Mavericks' 122-84 victory.
Charles Barkley says he's retiring from NBA television after 2025-26
Barkley admitted to taking meetings with other networks to potentially stay in NBA media following the 2024-25 season.
"There's been a lot of noise around our network the last few months. And I just want to say – I've talked to all the other networks, but I ain't going nowhere other than TNT," Barkley said. "But I have made the decision myself. No matter what happens, next year is going to be my last year on television. And I just want to say thank you to my NBA family. You guys have been great to me. My heart is full with joy and gratitude."
Barkley said he wants to "pass the baton" to another generation of analysts, such as Vince Carter and Jamal Crawford, at the end of next season. He also said that he was done giving interviews about his future prospects.
Barkley put WBD CEO David Zaslav on blast recently for his past comments about the company's relationship with the NBA.
In a May appearance on “The Dan Patrick Show,” Barkley revealed that “morale sucks” on "Inside the NBA" as the crew navigated the uncertainty that came with the negotiations between the company and league.
"These people I work with, they screwed this thing up, clearly," Barkley told Patrick. "We don't have zero idea what's going to happen. I don't feel good, I'm not going to lie."
After speculation that Barkley could exit his contract with Turner Sports if the company lost rights to NBA games, "Sir Charles" seemingly shot the idea down Friday night.
"I'm not going to another network," he said.
In a statement issued Saturday, TNT Sports said Barkley "is a Hall of Famer and broadcasting icon who is and will always be a beloved member of the TNT Sports family."
"We’re looking forward to another fantastic NBA on TNT season and further discussion of our future plans with him," the statement said.
Barkley finished his announcement by saying: "Next year, I'm going to just retire after 25 years. I just wanted to say thank you and wanted you all to hear it from me first."
Barkley joined "Inside the NBA" in 2000 following the conclusion of his Hall of Fame playing career. Ernie Johnson hosts the program, while Shaquille O'Neal and Kenny "The Jet" Smith are Barkley's fellow analysts.
veryGood! (81183)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Former MVP Mike Trout needs surgery on torn meniscus. The Angels hope he can return this season
- Organic bulk walnuts sold in natural food stores tied to dangerous E. coli outbreak
- 'Heeramandi: The Diamond Bazaar': Release date, cast, where to watch the 'epic saga of love, power, betrayal'
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Los Angeles Lakers eliminated from playoffs by Denver Nuggets. Where does LA go from here?
- Man accused of kicking bison at Yellowstone National Park is injured by animal and then arrested on alcohol charge
- Perspective: What you're actually paying for these free digital platforms
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Oregon Man Battling Cancer Wins Lottery of $1.3 Billion Powerball Jackpot
Ranking
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Sister Wives’ Meri Brown Details Her Dating Life After Kody Brown Breakup
- Justice Dept will move to reclassify marijuana in a historic shift, sources say
- Man accused of kicking bison in alcohol-related incident, Yellowstone Park says
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Alicia Keys, Brian d’Arcy James, Daniel Radcliffe and more react to earning Tony Award nominations
- Pro-Palestinian protests spread, get more heated as schools' reactions differ
- The Twins’ home-run sausage is fueling their eight-game winning streak
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
LeBron James looks toward intriguing NBA offseason after Lakers eliminated in playoffs
President Joe Biden, Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador discuss migration in latest call
Conservative states challenge federal rule on treatment of transgender students
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
WWE Draft results: Here are the new rosters for Raw, SmackDown after 2024 draft
2-year-old boy killed while playing in bounce house swept up by strong winds in Arizona
2-year-old child dies, another child hurt after wind sends bounce house flying in Arizona