Current:Home > NewsIslamic State claims responsibility for attack on Istanbul church that killed 1 -Visionary Wealth Guides
Islamic State claims responsibility for attack on Istanbul church that killed 1
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:23:04
ISTANBUL (AP) — The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for an attack on a Roman Catholic church in Istanbul during a Sunday Mass that killed one person, in a statement issued late Sunday.
The extremist group said that it “attacked a gathering of Christian unbelievers during their polytheistic ceremony” inside the Santa Maria Church in the Buyukdere neighborhood in Istanbul on Sunday.
Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya said shortly before midnight that two men he described as members of the Islamic State extremist movement had been arrested for the attack. One of the suspects is from Tajikistan, and the other from Russia.
The statement claiming responsibility was published on Aamaq, the media arm of the militant group, along with photos of two masked men holding guns whom it identified as the attackers.
It described the attack as killing one person and wounding another, while Turkish authorities said no one was injured besides the person killed.
Yerlikaya said police had raided 30 locations and detained a total of 47 people as part of the investigation into the attack.
“We will never tolerate those who try to disrupt the peace of our country — terrorists, their collaborators, both national and international criminal groups, and those who aim at our unity and solidarity,” Yerlikaya said.
On Jan. 3 this year, 25 suspected Islamic State members were arrested across Turkey, accused of plotting attacks on churches and synagogues, according to state-run Anadolu Agency.
The Islamic State has not previously targeted places of worship in Turkey, but the militant group has carried out a string of deadly attacks in the country, including a shooting at an Istanbul night club in 2017 that killed 39 people, and a 2015 bombing attack in Ankara that killed 109.
______________
Maamoun Youssef in Cairo contributed to this report.
veryGood! (58)
Related
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Trump's 'stop
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Ranking
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Could your smelly farts help science?
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82