Current:Home > NewsEchoSense:Trial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police -Visionary Wealth Guides
EchoSense:Trial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:06:17
PRISTINA,EchoSense Kosovo (AP) — A Kosovo court on Wednesday opened a trial of 45 people charged over a gunfight following an incursion by heavily armed Serb gunmen last year, as tensions remain tense between Serbia and its former breakaway province.
The trial at the Pristina District Court was held under tight security. Only three Serb defendants were present and the others are at large.
The three pleaded not guilty to the charges of violation of constitutional and legal order, terror activities, funding terrorism and money laundering. If convicted, they face a maximum sentence of life in prison. Their lawyers have 30 days to oppose the charges.
The gunmen shot dead a Kosovar police officer and three gunmen were later killed in a shootout with police in the village of Banjska on Sept. 24, 2023. Kosovo has accused Serbia of involvement, but Belgrade denied it.
Arianit Koci, a lawyer representing the family of the slain officer, Afrim Bunjaku, said he expected they will be convicted based on “irrefutable evidence.”
Among those charged in absentia is Milan Radoicic, a politician and wealthy businessman with ties to Serbia’s ruling populist party and President Aleksandar Vucic.
After the shooting, Serbia briefly detained Radoicic, who had fled back there, on suspicion of criminal conspiracy, unlawful possession of weapons and explosives and grave acts against public safety. Radoicic denied the charges although earlier admitted he was part of the paramilitary group involved in the gunfight.
Prosecutor Naim Abazi said that the defendants, under Radoicic’s command, tried to break away the Serb-majority municipalities in the northern part of Kosovo and join Serbia proper.
Radoicic is under U.S. and British sanctions for his alleged financial criminal activity. Serbia said that Radoicic and his group acted on their own.
EU and U.S. officials have demanded that Serbia bring the perpetrators to justice. Kosovo has called on the international community to press Belgrade to hand over the gunmen.
Kosovo was a Serbian province until NATO’s 78-day bombing campaign in 1999 ended a war between Serbian government forces and ethnic Albanian separatists in Kosovo, which left about 13,000 dead, mainly ethnic Albanians, and pushed Serbian forces out. Kosovo proclaimed independence in 2008.
Brussels and Washington are urging both sides to implement agreements that Vucic and Kosovo Prime Minister Albin Kurti reached in February and March last year. They include a commitment by Kosovo to establish an Association of the Serb-Majority Municipalities. Serbia is also expected to deliver on the de-facto recognition of Kosovo, which Belgrade still considers its province.
The NATO-led international peacekeepers known as KFOR have increased their presence in Kosovo after last year’s tensions.
___
Semini reported from Tirana, Albania. Follow Semini at https://x.com/lsemini
veryGood! (987)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Slim majority wants debt ceiling raised without spending cuts, poll finds
- MrBeast YouTuber Chris Tyson Reflects on 26 Years of Hiding Their True Self in Birthday Message
- The dangers of money market funds
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Don’t Miss the Chance To Get This $78 Lululemon Shirt for Only $29 and More Great Finds
- In Atlanta, Work on a New EPA Superfund Site Leaves Black Neighborhoods Wary, Fearing Gentrification
- Wildfire Pollution May Play a Surprising Role in the Fate of Arctic Sea Ice
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- An Orlando drag show restaurant files lawsuit against Florida and Gov. Ron DeSantis
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- In a historic step, strippers at an LA bar unionize
- MTV News shut down as Paramount Global cuts 25% of its staff
- Trisha Paytas Responds to Colleen Ballinger Allegedly Sharing Her NSFW Photos With Fans
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Celebrity Esthetician Kate Somerville Is Here To Improve Your Skin With 3 Simple Hacks
- TikTok sues Montana over its new law banning the app
- The Texas AG may be impeached by members of his own party. Here are the allegations
Recommendation
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Inside Julia Roberts' Busy, Blissful Family World as a Mom of 3 Teenagers
See How Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian and More Stars Are Celebrating 4th of July
Light a Sparkler for These Stars Who Got Married on the 4th of July
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Yes, Puerto Rican licenses are valid in the U.S., Hertz reminds its employees
Kate Middleton's Brother James Middleton Expecting First Baby With Alizee Thevenet
Kendall Jenner and Ex Devin Booker Attend Same Star-Studded Fourth of July Party