Current:Home > MarketsProsecutors: Supreme Court decision closes door on criminal prosecutions in Flint water scandal -Visionary Wealth Guides
Prosecutors: Supreme Court decision closes door on criminal prosecutions in Flint water scandal
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 18:25:00
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The Michigan attorney general’s office said Tuesday that the state prosecution of former Gov. Rick Snyder and other officials for their roles in the Flint water scandal has ended.
A decision Tuesday by the state Supreme Court to decline to hear appeals of a lower court’s dismissal of misdemeanor charges against Snyder “effectively closes the door on the criminal prosecutions of the government officials,” prosecutors said in a release.
“At this time the court has left us with no option but to consider the Flint water prosecutions closed,” the prosecution team said.
The Michigan Supreme Court in September rejected a last-chance effort by prosecutors to revive criminal charges. The attorney general’s office used an uncommon tool — a one-judge grand jury — to hear evidence and return indictments against nine people, including Snyder. But the Supreme Court last year said the process was unconstitutional, and it struck down the charges as invalid.
Snyder was charged with willful neglect of duty. The indictment against him also was dismissed, though the Supreme Court did not address an appeal by prosecutors in September only because that case was on a different timetable.
The Associated Press left a text message Tuesday seeking comment from Snyder’s attorney.
Managers appointed by Snyder turned the Flint River into a source for Flint water in 2014, but the water wasn’t treated to reduce its corrosive impact on old pipes. As a result, lead contaminated the system for 18 months. Some experts have attributed a fatal Legionnaires’ disease outbreak in 2014-15 to the water switch.
Flint was reconnected to a regional water system in 2015 and has been compliant with lead standards for seven years, regulators said.
Snyder, a Republican, acknowledged that state government botched the water switch, especially regulators who didn’t require certain treatments. But his lawyers deny his conduct rose to the level of a crime.
“Our disappointment in the Michigan Supreme Court is exceeded only by our sorrow for the people of Flint,” the prosecution team said.
The prosecution team said Tuesday that it expects next year to release “a full and thorough report” detailing its efforts and decisions.
Separately, the state agreed to pay $600 million as part of a $626 million settlement with residents and property owners who were harmed by lead-tainted water. Most of the money is going to children.
veryGood! (17721)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- 8 wounded in shootout involving police and several people in Pennsylvania
- Hurricane Hone sweeps past Hawaii, dumping enough rain to ease wildfire fears
- US agency to reexamine permit for Hyundai’s $7.6 billion electric vehicle plant in Georgia
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- 'The Crow' original soundtrack was iconic. This new one could be, too.
- America's newest monuments unveil a different look at the nation's past
- Aaron Judge becomes MLB's first player this season to hit 50 homers
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Four men found dead in a park in northwest Georgia, investigation underway
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- T-Boz of TLC says she's 'on the mend' following medical scare that left shows canceled
- Dallas Cowboys CB DaRon Bland out with stress fracture in foot, needs surgery
- Lake Mary, Florida, rallies to beat Taiwan 2-1 in 8 innings to win Little League World Series title
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- They fled genocide, hoping to find safety in America. They found apathy.
- 'This is our division': Brewers run roughshod over NL Central yet again
- Great Value Apple Juice sold at Walmart stores voluntarily recalled over arsenic levels
Recommendation
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Walmart recalls apple juice sold in 25 states due to elevated arsenic levels
German police say 26-year-old man has turned himself in, claiming to be behind Solingen knife attack
German police say 26-year-old man has turned himself in, claiming to be behind Solingen knife attack
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Walmart recalls apple juice sold in 25 states due to elevated arsenic levels
Alaska governor declares disaster following landslide in Ketchikan
Alaska governor declares disaster following landslide in Ketchikan