Current:Home > StocksPrince Harry was not unfairly stripped of UK security detail after move to US, judge rules -Visionary Wealth Guides
Prince Harry was not unfairly stripped of UK security detail after move to US, judge rules
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:24:46
LONDON — Prince Harry was not improperly stripped of his publicly funded security detail during visits to Britain after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and moved to the U.S., a London judge ruled Wednesday.
Justice Peter Lane said in the High Court that the decision to provide security to Harry on a case-by-case basis was not unlawful, irrational or unjustified.
The Duke of Sussex claimed he and his family were endangered when visiting the U.K. because of hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by news media.
His lawyer argued that the government group that evaluated Harry’s security needs acted irrationally and failed to follow its own policies that should have required a risk analysis of the duke’s safety.
A government lawyer said Harry had been treated fairly and was still provided protection on some visits, citing a security detail that guarded him in June 2021 when he was chased by photographers after attending an event with seriously ill children at Kew Gardens in west London.
The committee that made the decision to reject his security request considered the wider impact that the “tragic death” of his mother, the late Princess Diana, had on the nation, and in making its decision gave greater weight to the “likely significant public upset were a successful attack” on her son to happen, attorney James Eadie said.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, has broken ranks with royal family tradition in his willingness to go to court to challenge both the government and take on tabloids in his effort to hold publishers accountable for hounding him throughout his life.
The lawsuit was one of six cases Harry has brought in the High Court. Three were related to his security arrangements and three have been against tabloid publishers for allegedly hacking phones and using private investigators to snoop on his life for news stories.
Prince Harry wins,settles phone hacking lawsuit, will continue 'mission' of taking on press
In his first case to go to trial, Harry won a big victory last year against the publisher of the Daily Mirror over phone hacking allegations, winning a judgment in court and ultimately settling remaining allegations that were due to go to trial. While the settlement was undisclosed, he was to be reimbursed for all his legal fees and was due to receive an interim payment of 400,000 pounds ($505,000).
He recently withdrew a libel case against the Daily Mail over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. Harry dropped the case after a judge ruled he was more likely to lose at trial because the publisher could show that statements issued on his behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.
Harry failed to persuade a different judge last year that he should be able to privately pay for London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”
Prince Harrywins 'widespread and habitual' phone hacking lawsuit against British tabloid
veryGood! (23)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- FDA warns Diamond Shruumz still on shelves despite recall, hospitalizations
- Barstool Sports Founder Dave Portnoy Rescued at Sea After Losing Control of His Boat
- Shooting of homeless man near RNC probed; activists say 'blood is on city's hands'
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Former Mozambique finance minister on trial in US over ‘tuna bond’ scandal that spurred debt crisis
- Water conservation measures for Grand Canyon National Park after another break in the waterline
- Here's how to get rid of bees around your home
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Panama says migration through border with Colombia is down since President Mulino took office
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- South Dakota city to scrap code enforcement crackdown
- The Best Amazon Prime Day 2024 Home Decor Deals You Need to Shop Right Now, Items Starting at $13
- Kim Jae Joong reflects on 20-year career, how 'Flower Garden' is his 'ultimate expression'
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- John Deere ends support of ‘social or cultural awareness’ events, distances from inclusion efforts
- Oman says oil tanker's entire crew missing after ship capsized off coast
- Rural Nevada judge who once ran for state treasurer indicted on federal fraud charges
Recommendation
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Sofia Vergara, David Beckham and More Stars React to 2024 Emmy Nominations
Dick Vitale details road ahead, prepares to battle cancer for fourth time
Forest fire at New Jersey military base 80% contained after overnight rain
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Katey Sagal and Son Jackson White Mourn Death of His Dad Jack White
Here Are the Irresistible Hidden Gems from Amazon Prime Day & They’re up to 90% Off
Joe Manganiello disputes Sofía Vergara's claim they divorced over having children