Current:Home > MarketsNew Sentinel nuclear warhead program is 81% over budget. But Pentagon says it must go forward -Visionary Wealth Guides
New Sentinel nuclear warhead program is 81% over budget. But Pentagon says it must go forward
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 18:46:53
WASHINGTON (AP) — The new Sentinel nuclear warhead program is 81% over budget and is now estimated to cost nearly $141 billion, but the Pentagon is moving forward with the program, saying that given the threats from China and Russia it does not have a choice.
The Northrop Grumman Sentinel program is the first major upgrade to the ground-based component of the nuclear triad in more than 60 years and will replace the aging Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile.
It involves not only building a new missile but the modernization of 450 silos across five states, their launch control centers, three nuclear missile bases and several other testing facilities.
The expansiveness of the program previously raised questions from government watchdogs as to whether the Pentagon could manage it all.
Military budget officials on Monday said when they set the program’s estimated costs their full knowledge of the modernization needed “was insufficient in hindsight to have a high-quality cost estimate,” Bill LaPlante, under secretary of defense for acquisition and sustainment, told reporters on a call.
The high cost overrun triggered what is known as a Nunn-McCurdy breach, which occurs if the cost of developing a new program increases by 25% or more. By statute, the under secretary of defense for acquisition then must undertake a rigorous review of the program to determine if it should continue; otherwise the program must be terminated.
“We fully appreciate the magnitude of the costs, but we also understand the risks of not modernizing our nuclear forces and not addressing the very real threats we confront,” LaPlante said.
The Nunn-McCurdy review determined that the majority of the cost growth is in Sentinel’s command-and-launch segment, which includes the extensive communications and control infrastructure that allows missile launch officers, who serve on alert 24 hours or more in underground launch centers, to connect to the silo-based missiles and fire them if ordered.
The program will be restructured, La Plante said. Some of the modernization that was planned for the launch facilities will be scaled back and some of the ambitious replacement of a whole network of underground cabling known as Hicks cables may be revised in favor of some more affordable alternatives.
The increased cost will also eventually be offset by cuts to other programs, said Gen. Jim Slife, Air Force vice chief of staff. However, the Air Force assesses that the majority of the cost increases to the Sentinel program will take place outside of the next five fiscal years of budget planning, meaning no difficult choices on program cuts will need to be made immediately.
veryGood! (26)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Wisconsin Republicans to open new Hispanic outreach center
- Wisconsin Republicans to open new Hispanic outreach center
- Jurors in Sen. Bob Menendez's bribery trial begin deliberations
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Historically Black Cancer Alley town splits over a planned grain terminal in Louisiana
- Why We're All Just a Bit Envious of Serena Williams' Marriage to Alexis Ohanian
- MOD Pizza has new owner after closing 44 restaurants amid bankruptcy rumors
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Witness testimony begins in trial of Alec Baldwin, charged in shooting death on Rust film set
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Princess of Wales set to attend Wimbledon men’s final on Sunday in rare public appearance
- When is Wimbledon women's final? Date, time, TV for Jasmine Paolini vs. Barbora Krejcikova
- Mississippi must move quickly on a court-ordered redistricting, say voting rights attorneys
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- A Taiwan-based Buddhist charity attempts to take the founding nun’s message of compassion global
- Billy Joel isn’t ready to retire. What’s next after his Madison Square Garden residency?
- Meta AI comment summaries is turned on in your settings by default: How to turn it off
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
NBA Summer League highlights: How Zaccharie Risacher, Alex Sarr, Reed Sheppard did
Late-night comics have long been relentless in skewering Donald Trump. Now it’s Joe Biden’s turn
Hungary's far right Prime Minister Viktor Orbán visits Trump in Mar-a-Lago after NATO summit
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Inside the courtroom as case dismissed against Alec Baldwin in fatal shooting of cinematographer
Progressives look to Supreme Court to motivate voters in 2024 race
Chicago removing homeless encampment ahead of Democratic National Convention