Current:Home > StocksNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Visionary Wealth Guides
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 19:13:03
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (474)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Harvard appoints Alan Garber as president through 2026-27 academic year
- Horoscopes Today, August 2, 2024
- As USC, UCLA officially join Big Ten, emails show dismay, shock and anger around move
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Take an Extra 50% Off J.Crew Sale Styles, 50% Off Quay Sunglasses, 30% Off North Face & the Best Deals
- Oversized & Relaxed T-Shirts That Are Surprisingly Flattering, According to Reviewers
- 2024 Paris Olympics golf format, explained: Is there a cut, scoring, how to watch
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- The Chesapeake Bay Bridge was briefly closed when a nearby ship had a steering problem
Ranking
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- 'Chronically single' TikTokers go viral for sharing horrible dating advice
- Olympic medals today: What is the count at 2024 Paris Games on Friday?
- 2024 Olympics: Sha'Carri Richardson Makes Epic Comeback 3 Years After Suspension
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Rachel Bilson Shares Rare Insight Into Coparenting Relationship With Ex Hayden Christensen
- Families react to 9/11 plea deals that finally arrive after 23 years
- Job report: Employers added just 114,000 jobs in July as unemployment jumped to 4.3%
Recommendation
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
JoJo Siwa Shares Her Advice for the Cast of Dance Moms: A New Era
Video shows explosion at Florida laundromat that injured 4; witness reported smelling gas
First two kickoff under NFL’s new rules are both returned to the 26
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Periodic flooding hurts Mississippi. But could mitigation there hurt downstream in Louisiana?
US equestrian jumping team made last-minute lineup change, and won Olympic silver — again
Police investigate death threats against Paris Olympics opening ceremony director