Current:Home > StocksNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Visionary Wealth Guides
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:03:17
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (29)
Related
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Where did Mardi Gras start in the US? You may be thinking it's New Orleans but it's not.
- Flight attendants don't earn their hourly pay until aircraft doors close. Here's why
- Female suspect fatally shot after shooting at Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Why Taylor Swift Has Never Headlined the Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Kansas City Chiefs Coach Andy Reid Reacts to Travis Kelce’s Heated Sideline Moment at Super Bowl 2024
- Republican Michigan lawmaker loses staff and committee assignment after online racist post
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Most likeable Super Bowl ever. Chiefs, Usher almost make you forget about hating NFL
Ranking
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- No one wants to experience shin splints. Here's how to avoid them.
- Listeria recall: More cheese products pulled at Walmart, Costco, Safeway, other stores
- Recession risks are fading, business economists say, but political tensions pose threat to economy
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Tiger Woods starts a new year with a new look now that his Nike deal has ended
- What to know about a shooting at Joel Osteen’s megachurch in Texas during Sunday services
- Dunkin' Donuts debuts DunKings ad, coffee drink at Super Bowl 2024 with Ben Affleck
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Court documents identify Houston megachurch shooter and say AR-style rifle was used in attack
Mobileye CEO Shashua expects more autonomous vehicles on the road in 2 years as tech moves ahead
Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s Love Story PDA Continues at Super Bowl 2024 After-Party
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Why Taylor Lautner Still Has Love for Valentine's Day 14 Years Later
Super Bowl photos: Chiefs, Taylor Swift celebrate NFL title
Wrestling memes, calls for apology: Internet responds to Travis Kelce shouting at Andy Reid