Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Visionary Wealth Guides
Algosensey|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 13:54:02
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Algosenseyagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (51258)
Related
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Election 2024 Latest: Harris and Trump campaigns tussle over muting microphones at upcoming debate
- Nevada men face trial for allegedly damaging ancient rock formations at Lake Mead recreation area
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 23 drawing; Jackpot soars to $575 million
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Lake Mary, Florida, rallies to beat Taiwan 2-1 in 8 innings to win Little League World Series title
- A Florida man set to be executed this week appeals to the US Supreme Court for a stay
- Gunmen kill 31 people in 2 separate attacks in southwestern Pakistan; 12 insurgents also killed
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Former England national soccer coach Sven-Goran Eriksson dies at 76
Ranking
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Manslaughter probe announced in Sicily yacht wreck that killed 7
- Get 50% Off Spanx, 75% Off Lands' End, 60% Off Old Navy, 60% Off Wayfair & Today's Best Deals
- Flights for life: Doctor uses plane to rescue hundreds of dogs from high-kill shelters
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Foo Fighters will donate to Kamala Harris after Trump used their song 'My Hero'
- Residential real estate was confronting a racist past. Then came the commission lawsuits
- US agency to reexamine permit for Hyundai’s $7.6 billion electric vehicle plant in Georgia
Recommendation
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Double-duty Danny Jansen plays for both teams in one MLB game. Here’s how
High School Football Player Caden Tellier Dead at 16 After Suffering Head Injury During Game
DeSantis’ plan to develop state parks faces setback as golf course backer pulls out
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Little League World Series live: Updates, Highlights for LLWS games Sunday
Blake Lively Celebrates Birthday With Taylor Swift and More Stars at Singer's Home
Don't get tricked: How to check if your Social Security number was part of data breach