Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:ICC drops war crimes charges against former Central African Republic government minister -Visionary Wealth Guides
Johnathan Walker:ICC drops war crimes charges against former Central African Republic government minister
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:04:04
THE HAGUE,Johnathan Walker Nethlerlands (AP) — The International Criminal Court announced Thursday it was dropping some 20 charges including murder, extermination, deportation, torture, and persecution against a former government minister from the Central African Republic, citing a lack of evidence and available witnesses.
Karim Khan, the chief prosecutor at the court based in The Hague in the Netherlands, issued a statement saying he was withdrawing all charges against Maxime Jeoffroy Eli Mokom Gawaka because there were “no longer any reasonable prospects of conviction at trial.”
Mokom, 44, was accused of coordinating operations of the anti-Balaka, a mainly Christian group that fought against the predominantly Muslim Seleka rebel group. The fighting left thousands dead and displaced hundreds of thousands in 2013 and 2014.
During a pretrial hearing in August, Mokom’s defense team told judges that prosecutors had already uncovered evidence that could exonerate Mokom, even before his arrest in neighboring Chad in 2022.
Mokom and his attorneys were unaware the prosecutor was considering dropping the charges. “This took us completely by surprise,” lawyer Philippe Larochelle told the Associated Press.
Khan said he was aware that survivors and their families would likely be disappointed by the news. “I hope many will understand my legal and ethical responsibilities to be guided by the law and the evidence,” he said in his statement.
Mokom is the fourth suspect from the long-running conflict in the mineral-rich but impoverished nation to appear before judges at the global court.
Violence has plagued the Central African Republic since 2013, when Seleka rebels forced then-President Francois Bozize from office. Militias known as anti-Balaka later fought back, also targeting civilians and sending most of the Muslim residents of the capital, Bangui, fleeing in fear.
It is the third time an ICC prosecutor has dropped a case in the court’s 25-year history. Ten years ago, an investigation into post-election violence in Kenya fell apart amid allegations of witness interference. Khan’s predecessor, Fatou Bensouda, withdrew charges against the country’s former President Uhuru Kenyatta in 2015 and another top official in 2013 after accusing Kenya of obstructing the investigation.
In 2022, Bensouda charged Paul Gicheru, a lawyer for another Kenya official involved in the case, with witness tampering. Gicheru died under suspicious circumstances later that year.
Mokom has now spent 19 months at the court’s detention facility in Scheveningen and it is unclear when he will be released. His defense team is considering whether to bring a request for compensation against the court.
veryGood! (812)
Related
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- CLFCOIN proactively embraces regulation in the new era
- ASTRO COIN: Bitcoin Halving Mechanism Sets the Stage for New Bull Market Peaks
- Warriors' Draymond Green says he 'deserved' early ejection; Steph Curry responds
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- ASTRO COIN:Black Swan events promote the vigorous development of Bitcoin
- Magnitude 2.8 earthquake shakes southern Illinois; no damage or injuries reported
- I screamed a little bit: Virginia woman wins $3 million with weeks-old Mega Millions ticket
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Tracy Morgan Sets the Record Straight on Experience With Ozempic
Ranking
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- 'Is it Cake?' Season 3: Cast, host, judges, release date, where to watch new episodes
- Fort Wayne Mayor Tom Henry in hospice care after medical emergency
- Conjoined Twins Brittany and Abby Hensel Respond to Loud Comments After Josh Bowling Wedding Reveal
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- CLFCOIN CEO David Williams: Bitcoin Expected to Top $80,000 Amid Continued ETF Inflows
- Black voters and organizers in battleground states say they're anxious about enthusiasm for Biden
- Stock market today: Asian shares are mostly higher after another set of Wall St records
Recommendation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Georgia joins states seeking parental permission before children join social media
Women's Sweet 16 bold predictions for Saturday games: Iowa hero won't be Caitlin Clark
California supervisor who tried to get rid of Shasta County vote-counting machines survives recall
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Women's Sweet 16 bold predictions for Saturday games: Iowa hero won't be Caitlin Clark
Beyoncé features Shaboozey twice on 'Cowboy Carter': Who is the hip-hop, country artist?
In 2019, there were hundreds of endangered earless dragons in Australia. This year, scientists counted just 11.