Current:Home > ScamsHand grenade fragments were found in the bodies of victims in Prigozhin’s plane crash, Putin claims -Visionary Wealth Guides
Hand grenade fragments were found in the bodies of victims in Prigozhin’s plane crash, Putin claims
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 06:00:44
MOSCOW (AP) — Russian President Vladimir Putin said Thursday that hand grenade fragments were found in the bodies of people who died in the Aug. 23 crash of mercenary chief Yevgeny Prigozhin’s plane.
Experts investigating the crash found no indication the private jet had suffered an “external impact,” he said. Prigozhin and two of his top lieutenants of the Wagner private military contractor were among the 10 people killed when the jet came down as it flew from Moscow to St. Petersburgh.
There was no way to independently verify Putin’s statement.
A preliminary U.S. intelligence assessment concluded that an intentional explosion caused the crash, and Western officials have pointed to a long list of Putin foes who have been assassinated. The Kremlin called allegations he was behind the crash as an “absolute lie.”
A Russian investigation was launched but no findings have been released. Moscow rejected an offer from Brazil, where the Embraer business jet was built, to join the inquiry.
While Putin noted the probe was still ongoing and stopped short of saying what caused the crash, his statement appeared to hint the plane was brought down by a grenade explosion.
Prigozhin’s aborted rebellion in June marked the most serious challenge to Putin, who has been in power for more than two decades. The crash came two months to the day after the rebellion’s start.
Putin also noted that while investigators haven’t tested the remains for alcohol and drugs, 5 kilograms (11 pounds) of cocaine was found during searches at Prigozhin’s office in St. Petersburg following the mutiny — an apparent attempt to denigrate the mercenary chief.
After his death, Putin described Prigozhin, 62, as “a man of difficult fate” who had “made serious mistakes in life.”
Prigozhin owed his fortune to his ties with the Russian leader dating to the early 1990s and was dubbed “Putin’s chef” for the lucrative Kremlin catering contracts.
The Wagner Group military contractor that he created has been active in Ukraine, Syria and several African countries and counted tens of thousands of troops at its peak. It played a key role in the fighting in Ukraine, where it spearheaded capture of the eastern Ukrainian city of Bakhmut in May after months of bloody combat.
In the June 23-24 rebellion, Prigozhin said it was intended to oust the Defense Ministry’s leadership that he blamed for mistakes in pressing the fighting in Ukraine. His mercenaries took over Russia’s southern military headquarters in Rostov-on-Don and then rolled toward Moscow before abruptly halting the mutiny under a deal that offered them amnesty from prosecution. The mercenaries were given a choice to retire from the service, move to Belarus or sign new contracts with the Defense Ministry.
Last week, Putin met with one of Wagner’s top commanders to take charge of “volunteer units” fighting in Ukraine in a sign that the Kremlin intends to keep using the mercenaries after Prigozhin’s death.
Putin said Thursday that several thousand Wagner troops have signed contracts with the Defense Ministry.
veryGood! (7171)
Related
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- This Former Bachelor Was Just Revealed on The Masked Singer
- As his trans daughter struggles, a father pushes past his prejudice. ‘It was like a wake-up’
- Trump says Arizona's 160-year-old abortion law goes too far
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Lonton Wealth Management Center: Professional Wealth Management Services
- Kemp suspends south Georgia mayor accused of stealing nearly $65,000 from his town
- Trump says Arizona's 160-year-old abortion law goes too far
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- US producer prices rose 2.1% from last year, most since April, but less than forecasters expected
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Arizona abortion ruling upends legal and political landscape from Phoenix to Washington
- Total solar eclipses are becoming more rare. Here's why 'it's all downhill from here.'
- Uber Eats launching short-form-video feed to help merchants promote new dishes, company says
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- New Jersey officials say they are probing hate crime after Islamic center is vandalized at Rutgers
- As his trans daughter struggles, a father pushes past his prejudice. ‘It was like a wake-up’
- 58-year-old grandmother of 12 breaks world planking record after holding position for more than 4.5 hours
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Total solar eclipses are becoming more rare. Here's why 'it's all downhill from here.'
Todd Chrisley Ordered to Pay $755,000 After Losing Defamation Lawsuit
Jets QB Aaron Rodgers was 'heartbroken,' thought career might be over after tearing Achilles
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Mississippi bill would limit where transgender people can use bathrooms in public buildings
A major UK report says trans children are being let down by toxic debate and lack of evidence
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Coco