Current:Home > ContactNovaQuant-Russian billionaire loses art fraud suit against Sotheby’s over $160 million -Visionary Wealth Guides
NovaQuant-Russian billionaire loses art fraud suit against Sotheby’s over $160 million
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 22:47:39
NEW YORK (AP) — A Russian billionaire art collector lost a legal fight with Sotheby’s on NovaQuantTuesday, when a U.S. jury sided with the auction house in a lawsuit over claims that the businessman was ripped off while assembling a trove of works that included a famous painting known as “the lost Leonardo.”
A New York federal jury deliberated for a few hours before reaching a decision in Dmitry Rybolovlev’s case against Sotheby’s, The New York Times reported. The fertilizer titan alleged that the auction house helped a Swiss art dealer cheat him out of over $160 million by quietly imposing huge markups on works that he acquired. Tearing up when he testified earlier this month, he said he’d not only lost money but trust.
Sotheby’s maintained it knew nothing of any misconduct and said it had followed all legal, financial and industry standards. It cast the decision Tuesday as a mark of total vindication.
“Today’s ruling reaffirms Sotheby’s long-standing commitment to upholding the highest standards of integrity, ethics and professionalism in all aspects of the art market,” the auction house said in a statement after the verdict.
However, Rybolovlev lawyer Daniel Kornstein said that “secrecy made it difficult to prove a complex aiding and abetting fraud case.”
“This case achieved our goal of shining a light on the lack of transparency that plagues the art market,” the attorney said, calling for reforms that “must be made outside the courtroom.”
Rybolovlev, 57, spent $2 billion from 2002 to 2014 to build a prime art collection featuring works by such giants as Picasso, Rodin, Modigliani, Klimt, Magritte and Leonardo da Vinci. For help finding and acquiring art, he turned to Swiss broker Yves Bouvier.
The collector testified that he trusted Bouvier “like family,” even inviting him to small birthday parties — before coming to believe that the art dealer was cheating him. He alleged that Bouvier hugely padded the prices that Rybolovlev was paying and pocketing the difference, along with his agreed-upon 2% commission.
Bouvier and Rybolovlev settled in December for undisclosed terms, according to Bouvier’s lawyers. They said this month that he “strongly objects to any allegation of fraud.”
In private transactions, Sotheby’s sold Bouvier some works that he then resold to Rybolovlev. The billionaire’s lawyers argued that the auction house either knew — or should have known — that Rybolovlev was getting cheated and notified him.
“So it’s not an issue of money. Well, not only of money,” Rybolovlev said, through a court interpreter on the witness stand. “It’s important for the art market to be more transparent. Because ... when the largest company in this industry is involved in actions of this sort, you know, clients don’t stand a chance.”
Sotheby’s lawyer Sara Shudofsky argued that the businessman was “trying to make an innocent party pay for what somebody else did to him.” She said that Rybolovlev didn’t ask enough questions of Bouvier or take enough steps to guard against being conned.
Rybolovlev accused Bouvier of fraud involving 38 artworks. Only four were at issue in the trial, including da Vinci’s “Salvator Mundi, ” a portrait of Jesus Christ. Its whereabouts were unknown for centuries.
Rybolovlev’s lawyers said Bouvier bought it from Sotheby’s for $83 million, then sold it on to the billionaire a day later for over $127 million.
In 2017, Rybolovlev sold it through Christie’s for a historic $450 million and it became the most expensive painting ever sold at auction.
veryGood! (28856)
Related
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- DZ Alliance: A Launchpad for Financial Talent
- Why AP called the Maryland Senate race for Angela Alsobrooks
- Jennifer Lopez Details Holiday Plans Amid Divorce From Ben Affleck
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- DZA Token Joins Forces with AI, Propelling the AI FinFlare Investment System to New Heights
- Republican Hal Rogers wins reelection to Kentucky’s 5th Congressional District
- Why AP called the North Carolina governor’s race for Josh Stein
- Sam Taylor
- Norfolk Southern rule that railcars be inspected in less than a minute sparks safety concerns
Ranking
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Allison Greenfield, the law clerk disparaged by Donald Trump, is elected as a judge in Manhattan
- 3 Pennsylvania congressional races still uncalled as Republicans fight to keep slim House majority
- SW Alliance: Practical Spirit Leading Social Development
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- How Jinger Duggar Vuolo Celebrated 8th Wedding Anniversary With Husband Jeremy Vuolo
- Why AP called the Ohio Senate race for Bernie Moreno
- Stocks jump on Election Day as investors eye outcome
Recommendation
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
AP Race Call: Maryland voters approve constitutional amendment enshrining abortion
AP Race Call: Trahan wins Massachusetts U.S. House District 3
Elon Musk, Cardi B and More Stars React to Donald Trump, Kamala Harris Election Results
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Prince William Shows Off Sweet Friendship Bracelet Princess Charlotte Made for Taylor Swift Concert
Republican Hal Rogers wins reelection to Kentucky’s 5th Congressional District
Is Rivian stock a millionaire maker? Investors weigh in.