Current:Home > InvestSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Retrial of military contractor accused of complicity at Abu Ghraib soon to reach jury -Visionary Wealth Guides
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Retrial of military contractor accused of complicity at Abu Ghraib soon to reach jury
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 01:10:15
ALEXANDRIA,SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center Va. (AP) — A jury could begin deliberations as soon as Thursday on whether a Virginia-based military contractor bears responsibility for the abuse of detainees 20 years ago at Iraq’s infamous Abu Ghraib prison.
The civil trial underway in U.S. District Court in Alexandria is the second this year involving allegations against Reston-based CACI, which supplied civilian interrogators to Abu Ghraib in 2003 and 2004 to supplement U.S. military efforts after the invasion of Iraq.
The first trial earlier this year ended in a mistrial with a hung jury that could not agree on whether CACI was liable.
The prison abuse scandal at Abu Ghraib shocked the world’s conscience two decades ago after photos became public showing naked, abused inmates forced into humiliating poses.
Military police who were seen in the photos smiling and laughing as they directed the abuse were convicted in military courts-martial. But none of the civilian interrogators from CACI ever faced criminal charges, even though military investigations concluded that several CACI interrogators had engaged in wrongdoing.
The current lawsuit, filed by three former Abu Ghraib detainees, alleges that CACI interrogators contributed to their mistreatment by conspiring with military police to “soften up” detainees for questioning by subjecting them to abuse that included beatings, sexual abuse, forced nudity and dog attacks.
The trial earlier this year was the first time a U.S. jury heard claims brought by Abu Ghraib survivors. It came after 15 years of legal wrangling and multiple appeals that saw the case thrown out, only to be revived on multiple occasions by a federal appeals court.
CACI maintains, as it has from the outset, that it did nothing wrong. It does not deny that some detainees were horribly mistreated, though it has sought to cast doubt on whether the three plaintiffs in this case have been truthful about the specific abuse they have claimed.
But CACI says its employees had nothing to do with the abuse. And they contend that any isolated misconduct by its employees is actually the responsibility of the Army, which CACI contends had complete supervision and control over the civilians it supplied to the war effort.
CACI sought again this week to have the case tossed out of court, arguing in its filings that the plaintiffs “have not presented evidence, nor maintain any claims that CACI personnel directly mistreated them. Instead, Plaintiffs seek to hold CACI vicariously liable for injuries inflicted by others.”
Lawyers for the plaintiffs have said that CACI’s contract with the Army, as well as the Army Field Manual, make clear that CACI is responsible for overseeing its own workers.
U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema, though, has allowed the case to go forward. Closing arguments are expected on Thursday.
veryGood! (156)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Toyota recalls 381,000 Tacoma pickup trucks to fix potential crash risk
- Sloane Crosley mourns her best friend in 'Grief Is for People'
- Shohei Ohtani won’t pitch this season after major elbow surgery, but he can still hit. Here’s why
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Sloane Crosley mourns her best friend in 'Grief Is for People'
- Boeing given 90 days by FAA to come up with a plan to improve safety and quality of manufacturing
- Cam Newton started the fight at 7v7 youth tournament, opposing coaches say
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- SF apology to Black community: 'Important step' or 'cotton candy rhetoric'?
Ranking
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Actor Buddy Duress Dead at 38
- Texas wildfire becomes second-largest in state history, burning 500,000 acres
- Prince Harry Loses Legal Challenge Over U.K. Security Protection
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Taylor Swift adds extra Eras Tour show to Madrid, Spain
- Chiefs' Mecole Hardman rips Jets while reflecting on turbulent tenure: 'No standard there'
- US economy grew solid 3.2% in fourth quarter, a slight downgrade from government’s initial estimate
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Fate of Biden impeachment inquiry uncertain as Hunter Biden testifies before House Republicans
Texas inmate facing execution for 2000 fatal shooting says new evidence points to his innocence
Olympic gymnastics champ Suni Lee will have to wait to get new skill named after her
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Taylor Swift Sends Love to Australia Despite Dad's Alleged Assault Incident
'The Price is Right': Is that Randy Travis in the audience of the CBS game show?
Missouri advocates gather signatures for abortion legalization, but GOP hurdle looms