Current:Home > News12-year-old student behind spate of fake school bomb threats in Maryland, police say -Visionary Wealth Guides
12-year-old student behind spate of fake school bomb threats in Maryland, police say
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:08:43
Police in Maryland have identified a 12-year-old student who they say was behind seven unfounded bomb threat reports earlier this month that prompted evacuations at the three targeted schools each time.
The anonymous threats were made against Montgomery County Public Schools, a district located about 30 miles southwest of Baltimore on the border with Washington, D.C. Between Oct. 13 and 24, the district received five emailed threats to the Montgomery Blair High School, as well as one each to Oak View Elementary School and Silver Spring International School, according to the Montgomery County police.
Montgomery police detectives worked with the school district's IT staff to identify a 12-year-old student as the suspected culprit behind the hoaxes. While detectives said the juvenile admitted responsibility, children under the age of 13 can only be charged with offenses that constitute a "crime of violence" in Maryland, police said.
"It is disheartening to accept that the individual responsible for disrupting the educational process and instilling fear in our community was well aware of the legal limitations surrounding their age," police said in a statement. "They understood that they could not be charged under current Maryland statutes."
Fatal California crash:Driver in Malibu crash that killed 4 Pepperdine students arrested on murder charges
Another bomb threat reported Wednesday at separate high school in district
Shortly after police announced in a press release that detectives had identified the suspect, the department said on X that another bomb threat was reported at Springbrook High School, which is part of the same school district.
It was the second bomb threat reported at the school on Wednesday, Christopher Cramm, a spokesman for the district, said in an email to USA TODAY.
An earlier bomb threat reported at Albert Einstein High School had already proven to be unfounded, Cramm said. He added that police were in the midst of sweeping through Springbrook Wednesday afternoon and had not yet determined the threat to be a hoax.
No other information was immediately available.
'It jeopardizes the safety of our community'
In the case of the previous incidents, police were forced to respond to the targeted school's campus each time to sweep the area and determine that no danger existed before students and staff were allowed back inside.
"In addition to the fear and chaos these threats caused, it is important to acknowledge the significant financial and operational burden each incident placed on our department," police said Wednesday in a statement. "This diversion of resources is unacceptable, and it jeopardizes the safety of our community."
'A tragic end:'Nashville police chief's son wanted in police officers shooting found dead
School district sends letter to families
Montgomery Blair High School Principal Renay Johnson informed the school community in a Wednesday letter that the individual behind the hoaxes had been identified. Johnson also said a safety meeting for the school's students, staff and family was scheduled for Monday evening.
"We can all breathe a sigh of relief knowing that our campus will be free from these harmful and invalid threats from this individual," Johnson said in the letter, which was provided to USA TODAY. "As we move forward, I encourage you to continue being vigilant and proactive in maintaining a safe and secure environment. If you see something, say something."
Eric Lagatta covers breaking and trending news for USA TODAY. Reach him at [email protected]
veryGood! (46)
Related
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- 11-year-old graduates California junior college, has one piece of advice: 'Never give up'
- Man charged with murder in fatal shooting at Pennsylvania linen company
- Workers at Georgia school bus maker Blue Bird approve their first union contract
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Over 27,000 American flags honor Wisconsin fallen soldiers
- Drake jumps on Metro Boomin's 'BBL Drizzy' diss
- NCAA men's lacrosse tournament semifinals preview: Can someone knock off Notre Dame?
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Caitlin Clark makes LA debut: How to watch Indiana Fever vs. Los Angeles Sparks on Friday
Ranking
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- The Meaning Behind Sofia Richie and Elliot Grainge’s Baby Girl’s Name Revealed
- Documentary filmmaker Morgan Spurlock, who skewered fast food industry, dies at 53
- France's Macron flies to New Caledonia in bid to quell remote Pacific territory's unprecedented insurrection
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Man sentenced to 25 years for teaching bomb-making to person targeting authorities
- Drake jumps on Metro Boomin's 'BBL Drizzy' diss
- Family members infected with brain worms after eating undercooked bear meat
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
What is the 'best' children's book? Kids, parents and authors on why some rise to the top
Despite surging demand for long-term care, providers struggle to find workers
Voting rights advocates ask federal judge to toss Ohio voting restrictions they say violate ADA
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
Caitlin Clark makes LA debut: How to watch Indiana Fever vs. Los Angeles Sparks on Friday
Biden moves to designate Kenya as a major non-NATO U.S. ally
Mike Love calls Beach Boys reunion with Brian Wilson in documentary 'sweet' and 'special'