Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:Judge rather than jury will render verdict in upcoming antitrust trial -Visionary Wealth Guides
Indexbit Exchange:Judge rather than jury will render verdict in upcoming antitrust trial
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:18:24
ALEXANDRIA,Indexbit Exchange Va. (AP) — A judge rather than a jury will decide whether Google violated federal antitrust laws by building a monopoly on the technology that powers online advertising.
The decision Friday by U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema was a defeat for the Justice Department, which sought a jury trial when it filed the case last year in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia.
But the government’s right to a jury trial was based largely on the fact that it sought monetary damages to compensate federal agencies that purchased online ads and claimed they were overcharged as a result of Google’s anticompetitive conduct. The dollar values associated with those claims, though, were relatively small — less than $750,000 — and far less significant than other remedies sought by the government, which might include forcing Google to sell off parts of its advertising technology.
As a result, Google last month took the extraordinary step of writing the government a check for more than $2 million — the $750,000 in damages claimed by the government multiplied by three because antitrust cases allow for trebled damages.
Mountain View, California-based Google argued that writing the check rendered moot any government claim of monetary damages and eliminated the need for a jury trial.
At a hearing Friday in Alexandria, Justice Department lawyers argued that the check Google wrote was insufficient to moot the damages claim, prompting a technical discussion over how experts would try to quantify the damages.
Brinkema ruled in favor of Google. She said the amount of Google’s check covered the highest possible amount the government had sought in its initial filings. She likened receipt of the money, which was paid unconditionally to the government regardless of whether the tech giant prevailed in its arguments to strike a jury trial, as equivalent to “receiving a wheelbarrow of cash.”
Google said in a statement issued after Friday’s hearing it is “glad the Court ruled that this case will be tried by a judge. As we’ve said, this case is a meritless attempt to pick winners and losers in a highly competitive industry that has contributed to overwhelming economic growth for businesses of all sizes.”
In its court papers, Google also argued that the constitutional right to a jury trial does not apply to a civil suit brought by the government. The government disagreed with that assertion but said it would not seek a ruling from the judge on that constitutional question.
The antitrust trial in Virginia is separate from a case in the District of Columbia alleging Google’s search engine is an illegal monopoly. A judge there has heard closing arguments in that case but has not yet issued a verdict.
veryGood! (781)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Why AP called Michigan for Biden: Race call explained
- Rep. Lauren Boebert's son Tyler arrested on 22 criminal charges, Colorado police say
- Leap day deals 2024: Get discounts and free food from Wendy's, Chipotle, Krispy Kreme, more
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Women entrepreneurs look to close the gender health care gap with new technology
- $1B donation makes New York medical school tuition free and transforms students’ lives
- AI chatbots are serving up wildly inaccurate election information, new study says
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Dave Sims tips hat to MLB legend and Seattle greats as Mariners' play-by-play announcer
Ranking
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- 2024 NFL draft: Ohio State's Marvin Harrison Jr. leads top 5 wide receiver prospect list
- Home for Spring Break? Here's How To Make Your Staycation Feel Like a Dream Getaway
- 2 charged with using New York bodega to steal over $20 million in SNAP benefits
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- No, Wendy's says it isn't planning to introduce surge pricing
- Sony to lay off 900 PlayStation employees, 8% of its global workforce
- Pink's 12-year-old daughter Willow debuts shaved head
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
More than 330,000 Jeep Grand Cherokees are recalled to fix steering wheel issue
Lynette Woodard wants NCAA to 'respect the history' of AIAW as Caitlin Clark nears record
States promise to help disabled kids. Why do some families wait a decade or more?
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Family Dollar's rat-infested warehouse, damaged products, lead to $41.6 million fine
Beyoncé's country music is causing a surge in cowboy fashion, according to global searches
They’re a path to becoming governor, but attorney general jobs are now a destination, too